Minneapolis Finder Forum MN
RegisterSearchTutorialsMemberlistLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Map My Ride!
Post Map My Ride! 
Mapmyride.com is a pretty cool website for cyclists. It allows you to (you guessed it) map your routes and get exact mileage, calories burned, average pace (if you enter duration), and log your workouts. You can search routes that others have entered, and publicly share your favorite routes. It keeps a log of the rides you enter and tells you your total cumulative distance traveled, how much gas you saved by biking that distance, what the cost of that gas would have been, and the carbon offset.

Pretty cool stuff! I've been using Google Maps to map my routes until now, and they only let you choose between driving, public transportation, and walking. I'm happy to have found a biking-oriented site!

http://www.mapmyride.com

Can we take a poll? Anyone here concerned about their personal carbon footprint? Assuming so, what changes have you made with this being the primary factor?

This aside, glad you found a nice site to map and analyze your bike rides. It's great fun to ride a bike. I've never considered using one for actual transportation, but it's a great way to see an area, a completely difference experience from just motoring through. You have to pay a bunch more attention to everything when you're on a bike. Going slower, you see more details. And gives you a renewed interest in road quality and the availability of bike paths / lanes / sidewalks.

Carbon offset? lol.

Can we take a poll? Anyone here concerned about their personal carbon footprint? Assuming so, what changes have you made with this being the primary factor?

It's definitely not my primary motivation for biking, but it sure is a nice perk. I like using biking as my main mode of transportation, because A) it builds exercise right into your day and other activities, B) it's better for the environment, C) you don't have to pay for parking or worry about where you left your car (a big consideration when you work in Dinkytown). After biking almost everywhere I go for the past few weeks, it's amazing how clunky and inefficient it feels to drive a car around--taking this huge, awkward piece of metal with me and having to find someplace to leave it.

I do wish I could work somewhere closeish to where I live. I'd bike to work all the time then. Driving is the way to get around the metro area, but if I can get whatever I need from within the Robbinsdale city limits, I'd rather get it on a bike.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1