Minneapolis Finder Forum MN
RegisterSearchTutorialsMemberlistLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Jenny McCarthy is a tool. Vaccinate your kids.
Post Jenny McCarthy is a tool. Vaccinate your kids. 

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2009/07/06/jenny-mccarthy-spreading-dangerous/

I'm seeing more of this popping up. It's some pretty crazy stuff. My mom was lightly pushing me to not have my kid get the MMR vaccination because "it causes autism." Well turns out all that's basically full of crap. The initial fear of MMR = autism spouted from Andrew Wakefield,

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article5728998.ece

who is now himself saying that his claims have not been proven. Oh, also he was creating his own MMR vaccine and was having trouble marketing it before he released his report about the current MMR vaccine. The big scare with the MMR vaccine in 1998 was based around a chemical that was in the vaccine which as I understand acted as a sort of preservative. That particular chemical was banned by the FDA in 1999.

With autism still on the rise and people still wanting to cling to vaccinations as the culprit, more and more demons are being found. Now it's too many vaccinations too soon mixed with foods like wheat, yes wheat is apparently bad for you, as well as numerous other kinds of food that people have been eating for thousands upon thousands of years with no problem. I can't wait until they come across rice as a trigger for autism. I will point to China and say, "This is China. China had a cohesive empire for hundreds of years (if not thousands) before Jesus walked the earth. They did it all on rice. You fail. STFU."

I joke, but it's actually getting bad. My mom cited a doctor who saw the signs of autism arising in his kid and apparently by changing his diet, the autism cleared up. Do you know what the plural for anecdote is? Apparently it's "data."

Now I do have concerns myself that the new preservatives and chemicals being added to our food is not good for us and that it may actively be bad for us. But you can't just throw out blanket statements with nothing to back it up. For example, I believe that high fructose corn syrup is a major player in America's diabetes epidemic. I can believe this because it takes far more insulin for our bodies to deal with a given amount of high fructose corn syrup than it does for that same amount of plain sugar. Then also given our abuse of high fructose corn syrup, the end result is our pancreas saying, "WTF is this?! I quit!" Viola, insta-diabetic.

Now what I've done there is I've stated my belief, I've talked a little bit about the chemicals and whatnot involved and how it reaches the problem. What McCarthy and Crew are doing is stating what they believe, confusing terms with other terms (possibly in a crappy attempt to make sure no one can say that they're wrong, unfortunately for them all it does is help us say that they're wrong), and then use scary buzz words that have nothing to do with the science, the chemicals or really anything else. There's a point in the video at which McCarthy admits she has no idea what cells she's talking about so she decides to call them Iran and Iraq. wtf?!? Too much weed in college. Sorry McCarthy, that shit don't grow back.

People who are harmed do not have a big profit source to fund studies about medications or food additives which may be causing the various problems that have increased - autism, diabetes, etc. so it's very hard to really prove that something produced by the medical, industrial or food establishment has caused a problem.

The medical establishment is on a holy war to have kids vaccinated. Vaccinated with tons of things at once, as early as possible. Vaccinated for stuff that mainly is not a threat anymore, or not much of one. Or things which aren't very serious (chicken pox). In the 3rd world it makes pretty good sense for things like malaria and whatnot. In the 1st world, not so much.

Thimerosal may or may not be the cause of autism. No one has ever mentioned rice as far as I'm aware. Some families have had a good deal of success by removing Gluten and Casein from the kid's diet.

One in every 150 kids has autism. It's a big problem, especially if the kid is profoundly autistic compared to being on the high functioning end of the spectrum. It's also becoming a very expensive part of public school education to provide services for these kids. It's worth trying to get to the bottom of what may be causing it.

One thing's for sure. We're being fed a lot of crap these days with highly industrialized farming practices seeking to maximize profit per acre and shelf life/durability in transit rather than food quality or nutrition. The fact that a bunch of people work in washington at fancy places called EPA and FDA doesn't do squat about this situation.

I had my kids vaccinated on a case-by-case basis, on a conservative timetable. We went with ones that seems like it made good sense, and skipped some of the others. We get drilled by the schools about their immunization status, but are allowed to claim "objector" status regarding the ones which are missing. We do get some benefit by the fact that so many other kids are immunized, that the chance of exposure to x,y or z is pretty low.

It's definitely worth getting to the bottom of the causes of such diseases and disorders. But the fact remains, the Jenny McCarthy crowd are not doing crap to get to such an end. They're spreading FUD. It has been proven that the MMR vaccines do not cause autism. As is mentioned in the article, it's possible to know that a problem exists, not know the cause and eliminate something from the possible cause list. When proven they move on to something new. They're really just toying with their own kids. "Oh my kid has X disease, the medical community suggests Y, but I think I'll try A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K over the course of a few years and any time there's a positive change in my kids' condition, I'll tout it as if it were a cure until someone proves me wrong at which point I'll start the process again." There's a BIG difference between the scientific process and what these yay-whoos are doing.

I do agree though that we're being pushed for a lot of what I like to call "Medical Parenting." It sounds like you've taken a good approach to it. Evaluate each kid, the risks of contracting x, y or z, and dealing with the outcome appropriately. A BIG thing that gets under my skin behavioral medicine. "Oh no, my kid is more rowdy than I care to deal with! better shove some Ritalin down his throat." Some kids need Ritalin to be within the realm of normal. (Normal being not bouncing off the walls 24x7)

"One in every 150 kids has autism. It's a big problem, especially if the kid is profoundly autistic compared to being on the high functioning end of the spectrum. It's also becoming a very expensive part of public school education to provide services for these kids. It's worth trying to get to the bottom of what may be causing it."

Don't know much about the subject myself. Just note that a number of kids who have suffered from a lot of different disorders were finally diagnosed as autistic when their parents found out that Social Security would send them a check every month for that condition and not the others that they were previously diagnosed with. Ditto for school districts that seek extra funding for special needs children. Diagnoses skyrocketed after that.

http://sexualhealth.e-healthsource.com/index.php?p=news1&id=526674

thrice wrote:

Don't know much about the subject myself. Just note that a number of kids who have suffered from a lot of different disorders were finally diagnosed as autistic when their parents found out that Social Security would send them a check every month...
http://sexualhealth.e-healthsource.com/index.php?p=news1&id=526674

Oh come on.

Get out in the world a bit and meet some of these people who have kids on the Autism spectrum. See how many of them are making up something just for a social security check. This is a much different situation than "I'm 16 and have no game plan other than to get on the making babies payroll"

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2007-11-03-autism_N.htm

You might find these doctors' hallucinations equally amusing.

A couple of excerpts:

"The truth is there's a powerful incentive for physicians and schools to classify children in a way that gets services," said Dr. Edwin Trevathan of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention."

"Today, parents are more likely to cringe at a diagnosis of mental retardation, which is sometimes equated to a feeble-mindedness and may obscure a child's potential.
And increasingly, professionals frown at the term: The special education journal Mental Retardation this year changed its name to Intellectual & Developmental Disabilities.
The editor said that "mentally retarded" is becoming passe and demeaning, much like the terms idiot, imbecile and moron once used by doctors to describe varying degrees of mental retardation.
In contrast, autism has become culturally acceptable and a ticket to a larger range of school services and accommodations. In 1990, Congress added the word "autism" as a separate disability category to a federal law that guarantees special education services, and Education Department regulations have included a separate definition of autism since 1992."

I'm aware of the condition of autism, and know some parents of children with the disorder.

I also have pretty good information sources in inner city public schools, in which a huge porportion of the student population have been diagnosed with ADD, ADHD, Autism and a number of other disorders that bring additional staffing and funds to the district- and those diagnoses were reached at the urging of the school district. Referral for diagnosis of a learning disability or behavior disorder is rapidly becoming the default manner of dealing with behavioral and academically problematic students.

I could also fill a couple of city buses with hustlers I know that would staple a cocktail weenie on their daughter if they thought they could get a monthly check from Washington for having a child that is a hermaphrodite. Autism is a condition that gets low income parents a check from SSI and Medicaid coverage- in addition to whatever aid they may already receive from local welfare programs. It certainly doesn't nullify legitimate cases, but it does offer a strong motivation to some people to get such a diagnosis and an 18 year cash cow. Such incentives do have a strong tendency to skew diagnosis statistics in a very negative way.

Yes, I do get out a little.

Post Disability Scams 

http://www.rd.com/content/printContent.do?contentId=29376

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2008/12/disability_fraud_saps_social_s.html

http://www.indygov.org/eGov/County/Pros/Prosecute/WhiteCollar/Pages/Despain.aspx

Post But There's More! 

http://books.google.com/books?id=8JRdFnali0MC&pg=PA81&lpg=PA81&dq=social+security+child+disability+fraud&source=bl&ots=qhXnXfw82j&sig=nGX-LkBKwB7KuqTRsHPRiUQRVvc&hl=en&ei=b5tUStqLNojSM7TL6d0I&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=8

Take the time to scroll through the highlights of this book review, and learn about the wonderful world of SSI "Crazy Checks".

I know it seems rather obsessive to focus on the fraud aspect of the explosion in autism and other behavioral disorder diagnoses. But when a statistical figure starts to jump off the charts, and there are no other factors that seem to justify such a drastic change, human motivations to cook the books need to be seriously looked at. Greed is at or near the top of that list.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1