Minneapolis Finder Forum MN
RegisterSearchTutorialsMemberlistLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Best hometown hero?
Post Best hometown hero? 
So who's the best musician to come out of this area? There's a lot of big stars with roots in the twin cities. Even the ones who seem to want to distance themselves can't escape the clutches of an area where local celebrities are treasured as a rarity. For pure artistic talent and sheer crowd-pleasing superstardom, can anybody compete with Prince? He'd be my pick, but what do you think?

Post Prince is a FREAK! 
I really don't understand why there are so many Prince fans. I know it is so un-Minnesotan to say this, but to me, Prince looks like a freak, sounds like a freak, and behave likea a freak. I guess I'd call him a Minnesota freak.

Post Re: Prince is a FREAK! 
Frasier wrote:
I really don't understand why there are so many Prince fans. I know it is so un-Minnesotan to say this, but to me, Prince looks like a freak, sounds like a freak, and behave likea a freak. I guess I'd call him a Minnesota freak.

I think that may be part of the appeal. He's a freak, but he's our freak. When people say "where could that guy possibly have come from", people get some kind of pride in saying, "why, Minneapolis of course".

Are we talking Minneapolis proper or Minnesota in general? Because if it's the latter, I'm going with Dylan.

Since Dylan just seems to be a shoe-in for the greater Minnesota vote, it seems like it's best to limit it to Minneapolis. Or at least the twin cities. That's the trouble with having one superstar of Dylan's quality. He tops so many lists that it's hard to escape his shadow.

Dylan barely admits to being from Minnestota, he's embarrassed by it. So screw him.
Prince has become a freak, but back in the Purple Rain days, he was a bit more 'normal', so we can blame his freakishness on influences OUTSIDE of Minnesota.

Local celebs are a rarity? For one the Twin Cities covers a vast area, hell, outsiders probably think Duluth is part of the TC's.
Where is the line drawn on local? I've heard Johnny Lang billed as "the Twin Cities own".
I'd bet if ya did some research, you'd find celebs are not as rare as previously thought.

I think Prince's freakishness is totally a product of Minnesotanism. And I don't think he's quite so much of a freak as people like to think either. I've met him and (briefly) talked to him, and he was actually fairly down to earth. He's got some eccentricities, but he's got the money to afford them.

Prince should be cut from consideration in the same fashion Dylan was, if we're eliminating shoe-ins.

Even so, the list still gets long:

Garrison Keillor (hey, he sings)
The Replacements
The Suburbs
Spider John Koerner
Low
Mason Jennings
Har Mar Superstar
Dillinger Four
Atmosphere

Any of these people/bands could be considered local celebrities in addition to national ones.

Also, go buy "Running, Jumping, Standing Still" by Spider John & Willie Murphy, unless you don't want a near-perfect album you can throw on at any party or any given time.

Don't forget Steel Shank (or whatever the respective members are doing these days) and Semisonic for that list.

John Hawkes (Sol Star on Deadwood) hails from Alexandria, MN.

And Vince Vaughn is from MN, I think.

Hey what about actors?

John Hawkes (Sol Star on Deadwood) hails from Alexandria, MN.

And Vince Vaughn is from MN, I think.

Vaughn was born in Wayzata, I believe, but he hails from Chicago.

I know how people LOVE to hear this, but considering I'm fairly indifferent toward both of them (and from Pittsburgh originally), Prince is by far the more talented musician between he and Dylan. Bobby Zimmerman will be eternally more famous, but Prince is a master of his craft.

Is that group The Hold Steady, always played on the Current, from here?

I respect them as musicians but they drive me insane.

Greg up in the elitist before anyone knew it was elitist Kenwood are, attended the now defunct West High, made a few records with a little old band called Soul Asylum and also stumbled down the red carpet with a shop-aholic names Winona Ryder. He may have chosen to relocate to the bayou state, but to me he will always be a Minnesota hero.

Just musicians? How can you all forget about....

F. Scott Fitzgerald

Judy Garland

Jessica Lange

Sinclair Lewis

Louie Anderson

Charles Lindbergh

Lea Thompson

Charles Schulz

Did you all know that Jane Russel and Kofi Anan were from MN? I didn't!

Louie Anderson? You mean the pedophile who had a bit part in one Eddie Murphy movie and hosted Family Feud for a couple seasons? He's your idea of Minnesota's best?

One of my favorite MN natives is Charles Schultz, as you stated, though... so there's that, at least, that we agree on. PEANUTS still rule!

John Madden of Madden NFL Football (and Oakland Raiders coach, and broadcasting) fame was born in Austin, MN.

And, much to my personal chagrin, Al Franken is a hometown boy, though I appreciate him for his excellent SNL work and the movie STUART SAVES HIS FAMILY, before he went political and lost his sense of humor and resorted to base name-calling.

Louie Anderson? You mean the pedophile who had a bit part in one Eddie Murphy movie and hosted Family Feud for a couple seasons? He's your idea of Minnesota's best?

*Gasp* Noooooo! Seriously? Gawd I must have been under a rock... I had no idea. Why does KQRS constantly uphold this fellow as being so great?? I know for a fact several of their morning show's producers would have much hate for this man if they knew this...yet they let him on the air all the time.

Ish. I don't even want to Google this and find out the truth.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1