Minneapolis Finder Forum MN
RegisterSearchTutorialsMemberlistLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Ruth Ginsburg, Margaret Sanger On Abortion
Post Ruth Ginsburg, Margaret Sanger On Abortion 
http://www.politicsdaily.com/2009/07/22/ginsburgs-remark-stirs-an-old-debate-abortion-eugenics-and-th/

Interesting quotes from Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Margaret Sanger on abortion.

"...the less noble rationale of eugenics, that disturbing dogma that seeks to improve the human race through selective mating and by controlling who has the opportunity to be born..."

improving the human race seems like a decent goal if you ask me, much better than our current system of taxpayer funded de-evolution.

Smile

I am not in favor of abortion by the way. I'm just saying...

Historically, eugenics has always been a significant component of the intellectual underpinnings and political impetus of the movement to legalize abortion.

Interesting assertion, but the author doesn't provide adequate support for it. Quoting Sanger and Ginsburg (who later said she was wrong) and Jackson doesn't persuasively make the case.

Historically, eugenics has always been a significant component of the intellectual underpinnings and political impetus of the movement to legalize abortion.

One might also point out that abortion != eugenics. Eugenics is pretty much what they say in the article. A sort of experiment to try and weed out "lesser" traits in favor of "superior" traits. The key word used in the article is "controlled." That's where all ties between modern day abortion rights and eugenics die off. If individual people are still making choices for their individual selves as to whether or not to have one particular child, there's no kind of control, no kind of eugenics program. It's still individual people deciding whether or not to breed.

What it boils down to is that eugenics is the one thing that pro-lifers can prove existed in this world at some point or another to use as an argument for their cause. Turns out "because God wants us to have kids" without any kind of proof is getting a bit old.

Edit:
Because I'm a jerk.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1