Minneapolis Finder Forum MN
RegisterSearchTutorialsMemberlistLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Killebrew: Name Baseball's Steroid Users
Post Killebrew: Name Baseball's Steroid Users 
Killebrew: Reveal list of '03 positive tests
Hall of Famer says players should tell union to name names

07/23/09 11:02 AM ET

Hall of Fame slugger Harmon Killebrew has spoken out about performance-enhancing drug use in baseball, and he says the list of 103 Major League players who failed the 2003 steroids tests should be made public.

"Throw the names out there," Killebrew, the longtime Twins star, told the Minneapolis Star-Tribune. "I would think the players who were clean should be telling the union to make the list public. To have the names piddling out there is ridiculous. That's the only way to clear the air and really put this stuff behind baseball."

Killebrew retired after the 1975 season with 573 career homers and was, at the time, ranked fifth on the all-time long-ball list, one behind Frank Robinson.

Since 2001, his total has been surpassed by Mark McGwire and Barry Bonds, who have been accused of steroid use, Sammy Sosa, whose name reportedly was on the 2003 list, and Ken Griffey Jr., who has not been linked to the use of performance-enhancing drugs.

Alex Rodriguez, who admitted to steroid use from 2001-2003 while a member of the Texas Rangers, is one behind Killebrew's total with 572 homers.

"I like to hope that Junior was not among them," Killebrew said of Griffey. "I feel like he's not. And Jim Thome [who has 557 career homers] ... I hope he's not. But how can you know?

"As far as I'm concerned, Hank Aaron is the all-time home run champ, and Roger Maris should still have the [single-season] record at 61, but Barry Bonds is the name you see in the record book," Killebrew said.

"You wonder if it's worth it to have a record book."

I agree. Seems like the simplest thing would be to erase all statistics from the year in which a player tested positive. That would put most of the major offenders much farther down the list of record holders

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1