Minneapolis Finder Forum MN
RegisterSearchTutorialsMemberlistLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
What women want...
Post What women want... 

Who on earth came up with the ridiculous idea that women want diamonds for gifts and anything less is an insult?

I've seen at least 3 jewelry store ads per hour on television lately, all stressing that if you don't give your wife, girlfriend, mother, etc a diamond for Christmas you are a cheap, uncaring snot.
Unfortunately, I've known a few women who have bought into that stupidity as well. I even knew one young woman who proudly proclaimed that if her fiance gave her anything smaller than a 1carat diamond engagement ring she would not marry him.

Funny. She got all huffy when I asked when she'd turned to prostitution. It seemed to me that she was selling sex for diamonds...she was just demanding a higher price than the usual streetwalker.

Well, not all women are money hungry, spoiled brats with a mercenary streak a mile wide. I still smile when I look at my engagement ring. I wouldn't trade it for anything. My husband, back then, my fiance, paid $55 for it...money he didn't really have to spend, but that little gold band is more precious to me than all the diamonds in the world because of the care he took finding it. He's asked lately if I felt cheated by not getting a diamond ring. I told him 'no'. I've got my diamond in him. I don't need a silly, overpriced rock to prove he loves me.

Although I am not going to hold out for the 1 carat boulder like that one woman said, I suppose it would not be all that important if the man I was to marry could not afford one, but it would be nice to get one. It wouldn't have to be extravagent. Just a modest diamond set in a nice band will do for me.

Some little snippets of info found on the web:

Since the very beginning, diamonds have been associated with romance and legend. The very word 'diamond' comes from the Greek 'adamas' meaning unconquerable, suggesting the eternity of love. The Greeks also believed the fire in the diamond reflected the constant flame of love.

Traditionally, Kings were the only people to wear diamonds, up until the 15th century, when a diamond was considered to be a symbol of strength, courage and invincibility. It wasn't until 1400's when some Austrian archduke gave his bride to be a ring with a diamond on it, that the diamond became popular for engagement rings.

The reason a woman wears it on the third finger of her left hand dates back to the early Egyptian belief that the vena amoris (vein of love) ran directly from the heart to the top of the third finger, left hand.

Yep, I have no interest in or need for fancy jewelry. I don't wear any rings, and I rarely wear necklaces. I do sometimes wear earrings, but ritzy, gaudy earrings annoy me. I'm a big fan of the simple, pretty artisan earrings you can find at places like the farmer's market. Unique and colorful.

I'd much rather a man spend that kind of money buying us a trip someplace exotic, and proposing with a piece of twined bamboo ( Wink ) than sit in a stuffy room and hand me the fanciest diamond in the world.

(And I'd be much more likely to say yes in the former case, as well)

Very Happy

Interesting information, bwooddesign. Thanks!

LadyM wrote:
Interesting information, bwooddesign. Thanks!

I loooove reading this kind of stuff. I failed history in high school, though. Go figure.

Now thanks to the internet and the history channel, I can catch up. I never thought it wasn't interesting, I just am not the typical student. I failed lots of things that I comprehend. I guess i was just never meant to fit the 'mold' of a student, fit in with the system. If I was a child in school today, I'd be one of those Ritalin-addled kids always in the principal's office. Scratch that. I was in the principal's office a lot anyway.

Post Re: What women want... 

LadyM wrote:
Who on earth came up with the ridiculous idea that women want diamonds for gifts and anything less is an insult?

This post about Bronson McNeal Money Swindling makes me think women are more giving these days.
LadyM wrote:
I even knew one young woman who proudly proclaimed that if her fiance gave her anything smaller than a 1carat diamond engagement ring she would not marry him.

This young woman is cheap. She sets her price so low.

Here is my recommendation for couples who are about to engage: don't throw away your money on half a pound of diamond, instead, use the money to see the world to find out what you are missing. Go to Europe, South America, Asia and Africa and see what you have been missing. You will come back with a different perspective. That perspective will give you a healthier mind that is the foundation of a long-lasting relationship.

Diamond lasts forever, but relationship based on the size of diamond won't!

Actually I still joke that the cost of the wedding/honeymoon is inversely proportional to the length of the marriage.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1