Minneapolis Finder Forum MN
RegisterSearchTutorialsMemberlistLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Fear of Muslims
Post Fear of Muslims 
Radio talk show host Jerry Klein suggested on air that all Muslims in the US should be marked with a cresent-shape tattoo or an arm band. His phone started ringing off the hook. Many listeners agreed with this suggestion and added their own ideas on how to identify American Muslims.

Here is the interesting twist. Before the end of the show, Jerry Klein told his audience that his suggestion was a hoax, but "I can't believe any of you are sick enough to have agreed for one second with anything I said."

"For me to suggest to tattoo marks on people's bodies, have them wear armbands, put a crescent moon on their driver's license on their passport or birth certificate is disgusting. It's beyond disgusting."

"Because basically what you just did was show me how the German people allowed what happened to the Jews to happen ... We need to separate them, we need to tattoo their arms, we need to make them wear the yellow Star of David, we need to put them in concentration camps, we basically just need to kill them all because they are dangerous".

Yep. People are alarmingly ready to label, separate, and pigeon-hole what they don't understand (a.k.a. fear).

Beyond the obvious ways this is dangerous and disturbing, it's also worthwhile to point out that this is exactly how extremist, fundamentalist Muslims are casting the War on Terror as a War on Islam. I can't really think of a better way to support that view of this war than to encourage something like making Muslims wear armbands. And it's ludicrous. It's creating enemies where they don't exist, exacerbating the problem. Sometimes the world just amazes and disgusts me, and it makes me want to nap.

They also are quick to label others in order to separate them from "us"; the mythical "safe" folks. The example Mr. Klein made brought back many powerful images...among the ones that I thought of was the result that requiring all Jews in ...I believe Belgium...to wear a yellow Star of David armband. The day that rule went into effect, nearly everyone in Belgium, up to and including the King, wore that armband.

I am not saying that all Muslims are good, safe people anymore than all Christians, Jews, Hindus, Wiccans or what have you are good, safe people. bad exists in all. Those people claiming to be Muslim and carrying out suicide bombings and terrorist activities are not true Muslims in my book. They have perverted the teachings of Mohammed to fit their own needs. We need to be more conscious of that and not fall into the "War on Islam" trap being set for us.

Klein made a good point, but he ripped off Rush Limbaugh to do it! It's been a tactic for as long as he's been on the air for Rush to occasionally make a point by pretending to take of a viewpoint he doesn't agree with, by doing a 180 on an issue. Rush calls it, "illustrating absurdity by being absurd."

I do not feel any particular fear of Muslims. The vast majority of them are good folks. The mistake comes in when you stop looking at individuals and start looking only at labels or categories.

Do I fear Muslims in general? No.

I do fear terrorists, at least to a degree.

But to fear all Muslims because of a few hundred Muslim terrorists? That would be a victory for the terrorists.

That being said, it makes absolutely no sense to scrutinize 80-year-old Irish grandmas at airport security. It wastes time and effort. I know no one likes the term "racial profiling," but are anyone's needs served by scrutinizing a bunch of nuns, but letting 25-year-olds named Osama and Muhammed through without even a question, just so airport security can't be accused of racial motivations?

Sure, airport scrutiny is an inconvenience. It's annoying. However, it's less inconvenient and annoying than having another 9-11 happen, and ultimately it's only inconvenient and annoying for a short while. Nearly all air travelers, including Muslims, still get where they are going on time.

You want real airport scrutiny? Try entering and exiting Israel, where they take airport security seriously.

Bravo, Craig! Thank you for bringing a bit of sense to a touchy subject!

The mistake comes in when you stop looking at individuals and start looking only at labels or categories.

To quote a friend of mine, "My irony meter just exploded!"

CraigInTwinCities wrote:
The mistake comes in when you stop looking at individuals and start looking only at labels or categories.

To quote a friend of mine, "My irony meter just exploded!"

You see me in part, not in full, NoMN.

And the same is likely true about how well I see you.

Cheap shots don't become either of us.

I donít fear Muslims or terrorist I fear liberalism & communism they have killed more people then any other ideology.

Actually I think greed and the desire for power have killed far more people than any political or social ideology.

Actually I think greed and the desire for power have killed far more people than any political or social ideology.

I doubt that, fighting over women has caused the most death and destruction

...and it seldom benefited the women being fought over either.

But no...greed for land, money, and desire to rule have inspired murder in more forms than I care to think about. Hell, even the Inquisition started over a desire to maintain power over religion. And don't get me started on the witch hunts...

...and it seldom benefited the women being fought over either.

But no...greed for land, money, and desire to rule have inspired murder in more forms than I care to think about. Hell, even the Inquisition started over a desire to maintain power over religion. And don't get me started on the witch hunts...

The inquisition and so called witch hunts are two items invented by atheist never happened EVER

Church doctrine and records disagree with you, but believe what you must to get by.

Church doctrine and records disagree with you, but believe what you must to get by.

how do you know you have never read them.

LadyM, you can't enter into a battle of wits with an unarmed person. Do what I do - ignore DB.

Last edited by CraigInTwinCities on Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
The Church lady picks and chooses what parts of church doctrine she believes in how conveeeeeeenient

Ah well.

Besides, today is far too beautiful to be busy fretting about all that's wrong in the world.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1