Minneapolis Finder Forum MN
RegisterSearchTutorialsMemberlistLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Soccer Coach Eric Hawkins: 12 Years For Rape Of Player
Post Soccer Coach Eric Hawkins: 12 Years For Rape Of Player 
http://www.startribune.com/local/north/53233217.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUUsZ

High school soccer coach Eric Hawkins got 12 years in prison for raping a former player.

Hawkins was not pleased with the outcome.

rape in this situation appears to be statutory - though it would be helpful to hear more about what the "sexual assaults and advances" really were. This could have been at least somewhat consentual, ignoring for the moment that the girl was not yet at the age of legal consent

"...the girl, now 18, told of sexual assaults and advances Hawkins made when they were alone in his car, traveling to and from practices and clinics. The assaults, which started when the girl was 14..."

I'm not saying coaches should mess with students.
I'm not saying it smart for a 40-something adult to get involved with a minor.
What I'm saying is, that "rape" is a strong word and I'd just as soon see it be applied in the cases which involve violence or at least the threat of violence. Call this one "609.345*** Criminal sexual conduct in the fourth degree" perhaps. But nothing in the story jumped out and said RAPE to me.

https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/statutes/?id=609.345
...(b) the complainant is at least 13 but less than 16 years of age and the actor is more than 48 months older than the complainant or in a position of authority over the complainant. Consent by the complainant to the act is not a defense...

I dunno, X. There are a number of issues here.

For starters, the age thing. If a 40 year old sincerely thinks he's gonna be in a viable sexual and social relationship with a 14 year old girl, he's got a screw loose to begin with. If he's just out for jollies, and thinks that a 14 year old is naive enough to just go along with whatever he wants, he's a predator taking advantage of an immature person.

The teaching/supervisory position is an issue. We all know the risks of sexual predation against young people. When we hire public servants to educate and mentor them, it goes without saying that there is a special responsibility to protect their charges and we expect a high degree of consciousness about conduct that crosses the line. Moreso than we would of a random dude walking down the street, who has not been trained in the issues involved and has not made the commitment to accept that responsibility. And none of that, of course, addresses the "authority" issue, in which we know that a kid under some kind of academic or disciplinary threat could be compelled to submit to something against their will.

Long story short, there's no excuse for it. It's no more acceptable than a parish priest buggering an alter boy. Same story, different characters. Send 'em to jail.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1