Minneapolis Finder Forum MN
RegisterSearchTutorialsMemberlistLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Michigan Church Gets Winning Lotto Ticket Gift
Post Michigan Church Gets Winning Lotto Ticket Gift 
Church Rejoices Over $70,000 Offering
AP
posted: 20 HOURS 50 MINUTES AGO

HASLETT, Mich. (Aug. 14) Divine intervention? Or just plain luck? No matter what the circumstances, a Michigan church is $70,000 richer courtesy of a mystery giver and the Michigan Lottery.

The Covenant Life Worship Center and its 25 members in Haslett, Mich. was given one of the second-prize tickets in the Lucky 7s raffle held May 4.

The $10 ticket was purchased at a convenience store in Haslett, five miles northeast of downtown Lansing. The lottery Web site says the odds of a single ticket winning $70,000 in Lucky 7s are one in 55,556. Michigan Lottery officials say the church will receive the full amount of the prize because it is a tax-exempt group.

An anonymous woman told WLIX-TV in Lansing that she dropped the ticket in the church collection plate after discovering it in her purse. After discovering that she had the winning number, she decided to offer the entire fortune to the church as a way of thanking the congregation for their support while she recovered from a head injury caused by an auto accident.

"I don't know where I'd be if it wasn't for all of them," she told WLIX-TV. "I might not have made it.

Pastor Marilyn Parmelee tells the Lansing State Journal that the prize money will go toward the church building fund, setting up a missionary fund and supporting local community service projects.

Post Re: Michigan Church Gets Winning Lotto Ticket Gift 
thrice wrote:
Church Rejoices Over $70,000 Offering

The $10 ticket was purchased at a convenience store in Haslett, five miles northeast of downtown Lansing. The lottery Web site says the odds of a single ticket winning $70,000 in Lucky 7s are one in 55,556. Michigan Lottery officials say the church will receive the full amount of the prize because it is a tax-exempt group.

Pastor Marilyn Parmelee tells the Lansing State Journal that the prize money will go toward the church building fund, setting up a missionary fund and supporting local community service projects.

so let me get this right. They can sell about $555,560 worth of tickets and then give away just one $70,000 prize and a few smaller ones? I'd like to get into that lottery business, seems pretty lucrative.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1