Minneapolis Finder Forum MN
RegisterSearchTutorialsMemberlistLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Yemeni Girl, 12, Dies In Childbirth
Post Yemeni Girl, 12, Dies In Childbirth 
http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/09/14/yemen.childbirth.death/index.html

A 12 year old Yemeni girl, one of many child brides in that country, died giving birth to her child. The Yemeni legislature tried to pass a law mandating a 17 year old minimum age for marriage, but it was shot down by Muslim zealots who said that it violated Sharia law which does not set a minimum age for marriage.

How's a man supposed to get his quiverfull of children with a female who's already a woman? We've got to start them breeding younger! Children are our future!

Oh dear, even I feel dirty after that one.

she probably died because of being in Yemen, a 3rd world country with bad medical facilities, not so much because she was 12.

12 seems shocking to you and me, but biologically speaking - old enough to get pregnant is pretty much old enough to pull it off without dying in the process.

A few facts about Yemen:
Between 2000 and 2006, 17.5% of the population lived on less than US$ 1.25 per day

The World Bank predicts that Yemen's oil and gas revenues will plummet during 2009 and 2010, and fall to zero by 2017 as supplies run out.

Yemen has one of the world's highest birth rates; the average Yemeni woman bears seven children. Although this is similar to the rate in Somalia to the south, it is roughly twice as high as that of Saudi Arabia and nearly three times as high as those in the more modernized Gulf Arab states.

Human Rights Watch reported on discrimination and violence against women as well as on the abolition of the minimum marriage age of fifteen for women. The onset of puberty (interpreted by some to be as low as the age of nine) was set as a requirement for marriage instead.

she probably died because of being in Yemen, a 3rd world country with bad medical facilities, not so much because she was 12.

12 seems shocking to you and me, but biologically speaking - old enough to get pregnant is pretty much old enough to pull it off without dying in the process.

These two paragraphs don't line up somehow. If 12 is old enough to have children without dying, then medical facilities are pointless for childbirth.

citizenx wrote:

These two paragraphs don't line up somehow. If 12 is old enough to have children without dying, then medical facilities are pointless for childbirth.

How can you be so obtuse?

"the cause of her death was lack of medical care"

Lots of women could have babies at home without a problem. They were built to make babies. But from time to time, there's a complication. In the old days, and in third world countries, these women with complications end up dead.

Lots of women could have babies at home without a problem. They were built to make babies. But from time to time, there's a complication. In the old days, and in third world countries, these women with complications end up dead.

Yes, because having babies is no small matter. A woman's reproductive organs start to kick in to gear, usually around 12, but just because they're starting up doesn't mean it's a good idea to start pumping out babies. I don't disagree that she might've lived should she have been in an area with better medical facilities. I'm just thinking that had she been older, chances would be far greater that she wouldn't need the medical facilities to such a degree.

Old enough to bleed, old enough to breed is a fun, piggish thing to say. I am just taken aback that anyone actually thinks it's true. It's like when my friend tried to blow out a lighter using canned air. We all laughed and said, "Great idea," because we thought he was joking. Obviously no one would be stupid enough to-*GIANT FIREBALL ENSUES*

Post For most of human history 
bleeding would've probably been a good indication that girls' bodies could handle childbirth. Unfortunately, with estrogen and other hormones contaminating water supplies, that's no longer the case.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1