Minneapolis Finder Forum MN
RegisterSearchTutorialsMemberlistLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Burglar Sin Santo Bad Caught By Technology
Post Burglar Sin Santo Bad Caught By Technology 
http://www.sctimes.com/article/20090912/NEWS01/109120012/1009

Sin Santo Bad, 45, of Minneapolis, was caught committing a home burglary in Elk River after police attached a tracking device to his car and followed him until he was caught in the act of breaking into a home, one of 7 he is believed to have committed.

Post Let's hope the cops had judicial approval . . . 
before they intruded on his right to privacy.

Post Or Not... 
http://www.kenoshanews.com/news/court_oks_police_gps_tracking_4914624.html

Warrant not necessary, at least in Wisconsin.

"And Kenosha defense attorney Terry Rose said he does not believe the practice would pass muster with the state or U.S. supreme courts."

I'll bet this is overturned by a higher court.

Guess we'll see. The practice of attaching tracking devices to cars has been in practice for decades at least. Have to keep a few things in mind. For starters, unconstitutional cop behavior is not in and of itself an offense in most cases. The penalty for it is the exclusion of evidence from a criminal trial. Secondly, the attachment of the device is neither a search nor a seizure as currently defined in the Fourth Amendment. And finally, the judge raises a key point that the same information (i.e. movements) could have been obtained by visual surveillance. The GPS simply automates a human process and creates a record of it. I believe there is a search and seizure theory of "inevitable discovery" which says that if you would have discovered some evidence eventually anyway, an unconstitutional action to the same end is irrelevant.

It's a fascinating area of law. Stay tuned!

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1