Minneapolis Finder Forum MN
RegisterSearchTutorialsMemberlistLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
New York Exposes Gun Show Loophole
Post New York Exposes Gun Show Loophole 
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-10-07-gun-show-stings_N.htm

New York officials recorded private transactions at gun shows to demonstrate that some sellers are exploiting a legal loophole to sell guns in a commercial setting to strangers without any attempt to background the buyers. Several sellers recorded indicated that they did not care when the phony buyer indicated they would probably not pass a background check.

This needs to be dealt with. If the law abiding gun community wants to be consistent to its rhetoric, it has to police its own and not oppose legislation that reins in scofflaws who knowingly arm criminals.

Eh. When guns become a serious problem, I'll worry about it.

I don't see where one can sit on the fence on this issue, Prae. As far as I'm concerned, the strongest argument against more unneeded gun control laws is to insist that the government vigorously prosecute people who illegally possess guns rather than harass harmless legal gun owners. Pretty hard to build your case on that premise, yet wink and nod at those guys who are blatantly evading reasonable measures designed to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and knowingly doing so.

Now what are we talking about here? Are we arguing that all sellers at a gun show do background checks? Or are we condemning private sellers who are told by the buyer that they wouldn't be able to buy a gun legally? I can certainly see condemning shady private sellers. But how to regulate private sellers fairly, that's a pretty big can of worms.

I'm talking about going to a gun show where people congregate to buy guns from licensed sellers, and setting up shop in the parking lot to take advantage of the customer flow. If you tried to set up a bootlegger operation next to a bar, you'd be shut down and prosecuted in a minute. If you're knowingly selling guns to people who imply that they are felons or otherwise prohibited from having a gun, AT A PLACE WHERE PEOPLE GATHER TO BUY GUNS, you're a blatant felon. I just don't see a grey area here, under those circumstances. What people do on their own, under different circumstances, is much more difficult to regulate.

And yes, all FFL holding sellers at gun shows are required to do background checks.

Yes, FFL holders are required to do background checks, but not all sellers are FFL holders. You can go in to a gun show with your gun collection hanging on your back and sell them to whoever you want to. Or meet up with someone in a parking lot somewhere and sell off a couple of your guns. It's not illegal. I bought my first USP in what used to be a parking lot for a car dealership. It's not so much a gun show loophole as it is protection for the private transfer of items between citizens. It's certainly a scummy thing to do, knowingly sell a gun to someone who implies that he is a felon. But your only option to regulate it is to put more of the burden of the law on law abiding citizens.

I don't like this. You can't make everyone go through or be themselves an FFL holder. You would never hear the end of the whining from the ATF. Plus I wouldn't want any more information going to the ATF. They're a hair short of actual Nazis themselves.

Now if you want to make felons have a federal ID that lists them as such, and require that a seller see a person's ID before selling a gun to them, that would seem to be a good trade off to me. I wouldn't even mind the occasional sting to catch these artards in the act.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1