Minneapolis Finder Forum MN
RegisterSearchTutorialsMemberlistLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
DEAD MEN DIDN'T WAIT FOR THE DEAD OF WINTER
Post DEAD MEN DIDN'T WAIT FOR THE DEAD OF WINTER 
It's sad, these fools that look at the calendar and not the weather, and think "It's mid-December; of course I can drive on the ice." And now a snowmobiler and an ATV driver are dead.

Yes, some ice 8" was thick on Round Lake, near Brainerd, but the Crow Wing Sheriff's office reported the ice was 1/4" thick where ATV driver Tyler Magnan, 21, went through this past weekend.

And what really bugs me are the newsheads who always refer to such deaths as tragic accidents. No. Accidents are unavoidable. These are tragic stupidities. And unfortunately, there will be more.

I'll ski on lakes. I'll skate on lakes. But I only drive on lakes when I have seen logging trucks driving on the ice and I follow their paths. Good grief, there have been temps in the 50's this past week! With the vagaries of this winter's wacky weather, ice ought not be trusted. And I'm not taking one step on ice yet.

We haven't had a normal winter in 10 years. Global warming or not, those who go on lake ice need to ask, check, ask and check again, and then leave the vehicles at home until the dead of winter. But it's not fully winter, and two are dead.

I'm sure Tyler Magnan was a nice guy, but I know too many of these "nice guys" who are also "motor heads." So much of their lives revolves around powered "sports," and I use that term loosely. They can't wait to get on snowmobiles, and ATV's and jetskis--anything that burns gas, and rides fast and loud. And with little or no snow, lake ice is just too inviting for these fools.

I know it's harsh to call dead guys fools, but sometimes fools pay a terrible price.

Post Re: DEAD MEN DIDN'T WAIT FOR THE DEAD OF WINTER 
NonPartisan wrote:

And what really bugs me are the newsheads who always refer to such deaths as tragic accidents. No. Accidents are unavoidable. These are tragic stupidities. And unfortunately, there will be more.

I agree! We hear these stories every year. There is not shortage of warnings on TV, radio or newspaper about the danger of thin ice. But every year, there are always some people falling through the ice. Oh well, the fish need a Christmas treat too. It is natural secltion at work!

and sadder still; the majority of these deaths are children, not adults.

Post Re: DEAD MEN DIDN'T WAIT FOR THE DEAD OF WINTER 
WhatsUp wrote:
NonPartisan wrote:

I agree! We hear these stories every year. There is not shortage of warnings on TV, radio or newspaper about the danger of thin ice. But every year, there are always some people falling through the ice. Oh well, the fish need a Christmas treat too. It is natural secltion at work!

"...Oh well, the fish need a christman treat too"...have a heart, that was my cousin who fell through the ice and regardless of how foolish you may think he was, you didn't know him. You wouldn't have known him cause he didn't conversate with narrow minded people. You write whatever you want with no consideration for the family who lost a wonderful son, cousin, brother, and friend. He was not foolish and he knew how dangerous ice could be cause he's been on it since he was a child. The accident was exactly that, an ACCIDENT, you probably don't even know anything about the situation aside from the fact that he fell through and he died. I come online to read nice articles about my cousin so I can remember him even in his death and I have to read stuff like this, you make me sick. Before you open your mouth you should have a clue as to what or who your talking about. I lost someone I love very much, and so did many other people and for you to just say oh well, it really saddens me. I hope you never have to experience anything like my family had too, but if you do, I really hope that someone shows up at the funeral and says OH WELL!!!

In my original message, I meant accidents like such are preventable. If you want to have sex with a woman but don't want to make her pregnant, use a condom. If you don't and a pregnancy results, would you call that an accident?

Post Thin Ice 
I truly feel sorry for the families of people who die in falls through the ice, but I too question the attitude that these things just happen. We live in MN. We all know that ice formation does not follow a yearly schedule. Up until the past few weeks, it's been so warm that common sense should tell you the ice is NOT think enough to hold much.

Also, people who take snowmobiles out, after drinking, in the dark, are foolish beyond belief.

I'm sorry for sounding uncaring, but at some point we need to be responsible for our own actions. Nature doesn't care about whether or not we expected something to happen.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1