Minneapolis Finder Forum MN
RegisterSearchTutorialsMemberlistLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Coins In A Bottle
Post Coins In A Bottle 

My spouse and I decided to save up coins in a milk bottle from our change, and donate it to charity at the end of the year. This year our charity is Pennies for Peace, or the Central Asia Institute.

I cashed in the bottle today to write a check on it. I was amazed that the total was $85. Cool!

How to you like to contribute to charity?

At the U of M, where I work, we have the option once a year of choosing among a list of charities, and dedicating a certain amount of money from each paycheck towards it. I give $5 from every paycheck to Open Your Heart to the Hungry and Homeless. Works out to about $130 per year. I've also donated cars in the past, and all my old eyeglasses when I got Lasik eye surgery.

When I was in the Peace Corps in Burkina Faso, I was amazed to see the t-shirts and coats that people would wear around the village--things that someone had obviously dumped in a box a some church in small-town Midwest America ended up clothing destitute people in West Africa. Some of them made me giggle--school sports team shirts and whatnot. There are so many people out there who need the stuff we so thoughtlessly cast aside.

"There are so many people out there who need the stuff we so thoughtlessly cast aside."

Funny you should mention that. I make a practice of picking up every coin I find on the ground and pocketing it. I'm sure people watching me think I'm an eccentric cheapskate. But what they don't know is that the change all goes in the milk bottle every day. So from that standpoint, some of the contribution is literally money that people cast aside as being too insignificant to keep. I'm sure the people on the other end of the line don't see it that way.

we donate household goods throughout the year, and write various checks to various places throughout the year too.

it's measured in the 1000's each year

Post I like to target my giving to those 

usually characterized as "the deserving poor" on a person-to-person, case by case basis. I've known lazy scumbags who frequented food shelves because it was easier than working. And of course there's charities that pay their top executives unconscionable amounts, which is a waste of resources.

In my experience, giving to the undeserving tends to reinforce their entitlement mentality. Live, die, starve, I don't really give a damn as long as they aren't kids.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1