Minneapolis Finder Forum MN
RegisterSearchTutorialsMemberlistLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Janie Peterson at FOX 9
Post Janie Peterson at FOX 9 
Does any watch FOX 9? Where is Janie Peterson? She was the station's chief meteorologist. I haven't watch the station for a while and all of a sudden, a new face has replaced her.

FOX 9 used to market their weather forecast as the most accurate in the cities, voted by its audience.

Yeah, I don't know what happened to her. I don't like that Ian SomebodyOrOther, who they have got doing the waather in her place Sad

Last edited by bwoodsdesign on Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Has Ian Leonard introduced you all to the "Whammy Zone" yet?

My parents called me a few weeks ago to say that their local meteorologist - who they despised was moving up to the Twin Cities. When I found out it was for Fox9, I breathed a sigh of relief that I don't watch their news.

He's a total tool. Stay away!

Post Ian Leonard - WHO? 
I kinda prefer Dave Dahl at News Channel 5. He appears to be a very humble guy. Janie Perterson was good too, plus her weather was earlier in the evening. Not idea where she went.

I agree, Dave Dahl's the local weather king.

And, as a bonus, he believe global warming is a total sham.

Oops... think I just turned some people on this board OFF of Dahl... LOL

Sven grew up near my hometown and graduated from my high school's rival school, Park High in Cottage Grove...and he's a young one.

Dare I say I think the backs of his ears are the wettest of any meterologist we've ever had on Twin Cities tv news....He might be the youngest ever in history?? I bet.

I'm kinda fond of Keith Marler on Fox 9 in the mornings.

Post Janie Peterson FOX 9 meteorologist 
Hi to the curious-- and the thankful. Janie Peterson here. I heard about your forum and wanted to join in--for the good and the bad. The topics are newsworthy and I'm a journalism fan, editorials too! My family and I are staying put in the Twin Cities. I've lived elsewhere and none compare to my hometown. Check out our website for my latest venture... still TV, just online. A second business coming soon!
Stay tuned, Janie

Website: Corporate Video & Video Marketing - Minneapolis, MN

As you can see... some of us MISS YOU!

Good luck with your new venture. I'm sure with you at the helm it will be a great one Smile

Post Re: Janie Peterson FOX 9 meteorologist 
jcrpete wrote:
Hi to the curious-- and the thankful. Janie Peterson here. I heard about your forum and wanted to join in--for the good and the bad. The topics are newsworthy and I'm a journalism fan, editorials too! My family and I are staying put in the Twin Cities. I've lived elsewhere and none compare to my hometown. Check out our website for my latest venture... still TV, just online. A second business coming soon!
Stay tuned, Janie

Website: Corporate Video & Video Marketing - Minneapolis, MN

Hi Janie! Glad you are doing well! Hope your business is doing well. Cool web site and cool videos!

You are WAY better than the "new" guy at FOX 9. He always appears LIFELESS in front of camera. Are you planning to work for another TV station anytime soon?

Post Janie Peterson FOX 9 Meteorologist 
Welcome Janie.

Resident "hated conservative" here, don't judge me too harshly. Glad to see you checking in!

Miss you on Fox 9. Good luck with your new ventures.

Feel free to chip in on any topics. MOST (not all) of us are respectful and well-spoken, even when we disagree.

As for the rest... ignore them. That's what the rest of us do. Wink (And each person's list of who deserves listening to and who deserves ignoring is probably pretty different!)

Post Janie Peterson 
Thanks for the welcome! I can handle the criticism. I wouldn't last in forecasting if I thought I was right all the time. Yes, we all have our favorites. The interesting part of a TV job-- not being like or hated, it's that being in the middle is a terrible spot. When no one hates you-- no one loves you either. No one knows your name-- or notices you-- that might be worse. Part of the job... walking a fine line. People who know me like me-- that's what matters.

Janie Peterson

Post Janie Peterson FOX 9 
Janie,

I doubt anyone will get too harsh with you.

Personally, I liked your forecasts, although my favorite forecaster of all is Dave Dahl. I tend to watch either Fox 9 or KSTP 5 most of the time. KARE 11 rarely. And I do what I can to avoid WCCO 4. Just personal preferences. Like a lot of people, I'll usually keep it on whatever channel I was watching before news came on... I watch a lot of Fox shows, so... with the exception of 'CCO, which I always tune away from.

Actually, I used to work in the print news media up in NW Wisconsin, so on a smaller scale, I have an idea of what it's like...

One suggestion: You might have fun weighing in on one of the global warming threads. One of the reasons I like Dahl best is because he doesn't buy into the GW hype machine, but I know that he's a bit of a rare bird in the AMS...

While those who buy into GW won't be swayed and neither will people who don't buy into it, it could be fun to hear what a front-line forecaster like yourself has to say about global climate change and the Gore-O-Vision version of it. Wink I can't speak for anyone else on the boards here, but I can promise that even if I disagree with you, I'll do so respectfully. And if we agree, hey... all the better.

Post Re: Janie Peterson 
jcrpete wrote:
Thanks for the welcome! I can handle the criticism. I wouldn't last in forecasting if I thought I was right all the time. Yes, we all have our favorites. The interesting part of a TV job-- not being like or hated, it's that being in the middle is a terrible spot. When no one hates you-- no one loves you either. No one knows your name-- or notices you-- that might be worse. Part of the job... walking a fine line. People who know me like me-- that's what matters.

Janie Peterson

The current FOX 9 weather crew looks and sounds so boring. The backup woman is better than the Ian Leonard dude. However, they all seem reciting from a script - no personality to speak of. It was a bad move by FOX 9 to bring in Ian Leonard and let Janie go. It has been going downhill ever since. What a shame?!

You may be surprised by my global warming opinions. I don't have a cookie cutter response and don't pretend to know it all on the subject either. Most importantly, I wish it were not a political debate, but a worthy discussion and research. It's worthy of attention but less hype. I didn't like 'The Inconvenient Truth' for many reasons-- but am holding back for more proof of the theory. I'd like to buy a car that gets better gas mileage regardless. Electric sounds like a great idea to me.
Janie Peterson

I turn the volume up to 11 on my opinions at times on this board, simply because I'm reacting to polar opposites so often.

However, my general view is that the claim of "consensus" on the subject is:

A) Premature

B) Not science, since science isn't determined by "consensus."

There's far too much contrary research being done for me to be comfortable with anyone saying the subject is closed, one way or another. I've cited a lot on many threads throughout these forums, but a few I find most persuasive that the topic is not "closed" yet include:

1) The work of a Russian scientist who sees parallel climate changes on Mars in his research, suggesting a solar source for fluctuations, rather than human activity.

2) The work and opinions of a glacial scientist from India who says nowhere near enough glaciers have been studied to be drawing any conclusions about glacial melting. (Really in-depth article, lots of detail... a thread that's worth looking up for the link to the original article.)

3)The simple fact that, about 30 years ago, global cooling was all the rage, not global warming. I found a link (still in a thread somewhere) to a 1975 Newsweek article that had the same kind of panicked tone we see today on GW, only back then it was GC.

I'm also generally disturbed that scientist who uncover contrary information are the recipients of character assassination attacks, while scientists who agree with Gore are never looked at in a similar critical light.

It's always, "Well, don't listen to him, he has financial links to big oil," whether it's true or not. But does anyone ever look at GW scientists and say, "Hey, those guys are on the dole to a government bureaucracy that has a vested interest in proving GW?"

I also think research money plays big in this; government funds don't go toward areas of research that are of mild impact; they HAVE to be stated as "crisis" and "world-saving" in order to attract funds. And if contrary evidence were ever proved, those dollars would dry up. What scientist wants to prove work to be so insignificant that he/she ends up unfunded and unemployed?

Personally, I'd love to see a de-politicized atmosphere for scientists where their research can be pure from corrupting influences on the right OR the left, where areas of research don't have to be made into crisis-level emergencies to be funded, so that the science is less biased or influenced.

Of course, there's always the personal bias of the scientist to consider, but... If it's real science, it'll rise above that, because anything that's pure science (not soft science) is: 1) disprovable, 2) observable, 3) repeatable. Anything that is called science that doesn't meet those three criteria is at best a soft science, and more likely a philosophy or a "secular religious belief."

But that's my take...

It also disturbs me that some folks would rather silence contrary research than examine all the available evidence. But hey, we're all entitled to our own opinions... Thanks for being part of the community and sharing yours.

Oh, and I love hybrid cars... Not because they save the planet, but because they save money at the pump... Hopefully, my next car will be a 2-3 year old Prius...

Looks like you cleared the room on that last post, Craig Razz

I too, would like to see a hard, scientific piece from the other side, so I can make up my own mind on the whole thing.

Right now I don't have any facts to back any kind of argument that may ensue, when someone asks me what I think about "global warming", but when someone bitches about Greenland melting dreadfully away, I can say, with some certainty, that, "Hey, it used to be green! Back in the day anyway! It's just one of those places that goes through climactic changes throughout the ages!"

Post Janie 
Hi there, I had Janie's doughter in my VBS class this past week. I thought it was so cool to see the formal meteorologist in person and talk to her a little. Well anyways, i would always wach fox 9 and suddenly she's not there anymore. she always had humor or something to it that would make it fun. Ian is the same every day. I also think it was her who broke her arm and had a lime green cast, so when she would be on tv, you wouldn't see part of her arm, but her hand would appear farther down. Anyways, we miss seeing you on T.V. and hope your businesses go well!

Post CJ on Janie Peterson 
Quote:
Former TV meteorologist Janie Peterson has reinvented herself with a new e-career and hairdo.

Over the past year, Peterson and her husband, award-winning TV photojournalist Chris Peterson, have been quietly building a clientele for Peterson Productions, their marketing strategies/video company (petersonproductionslive.com). Do not call it a video production company.

"Peterson Productions is more than a video production company," said Janie. "Of course, shooting and editing supports many advertising solutions, but e-video always starts with a creative marketing strategy and branches out in directions you didn't know were possible. My technology and communications backgrounds came together beautifully to create e-video."

Plus, "Boyfriend and I are working together again!" said Janie.

Boyfriend, for the uninitiated, is what Janie and her friends call Chris.

"The reason I even came up with my e-video business idea is that Wendy Burch, a media trainer and mutual friend of Inga Hammond, was in town to train the Timberwolves right after I found out my contract wasn't renewed and she said: Janie, it's a no-brainer. You happen to be sleeping with the best photog in the country. Duh! That's when I slept on it and thought maybe I should do something with Boyfriend.

"I am on FIRE!" said Janie, who still has irrepressible energy. "Business is fantastic!"

Speaking of fire, what about Ingaaaa, perhaps the most interesting media person ever to enter a Twin Cities TV newsroom (or sports locker room)? Again, for the uninitiated, I spell it Ingaaaa because, among other reasons, that helps people pronounce the name as she does. Hammond, the blonde bombshell whose personal magnetism freaked out KSTP-TV managers when she anchored there, is now on the Golf Channel.

"She's doing pretty well, excited to be doing the golfing thing. That kind of is right up her alley. I think she's really happy. She's not married, perpetually dating," said Janie. Oh yeah, Ingaaaa dating in the Twin Cities; those were good times for gossip.

more at: http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/12524141.html

Glad Janie is doing well!

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1