Minneapolis Finder Forum MN
RegisterSearchTutorialsMemberlistLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Bar La Grassa
Post Bar La Grassa 
I have to join the clamoring throngs in singing the praises of this new venture on the edges of the Warehouse District. Stopped in last night sans reservation (on a Sunday, around 6:45) and it was so crowded we had to sit at the kitchen counter, which turned out to be perfectly comfortable. Tried their top-selling bruschetta--toasted baguette slices topped with a mixture of scrambled eggs, cream cheese, and lobster, with a hint of truffle oil. It was melt-in-your-mouth delicious.

Followed that up with four small pasta dishes (all their dishes come in small or large sizes--I recommend getting several of the small portions, just for diversity of flavor sensations). We tried the red wine spaghetti with pine nuts (exquisitely simple), Calamarata with raw tuna (thick, warm, ringed noodles in a Fresno chili sauce, topped with a citrus-soaked mound of chilled tuna--the noodles and the tuna had similar textures and completely different, yet somehow complementary flavors), Orecchiette with braised rabbit (the only plate we didn't polish off, but mighty tasty all the same--a comforting meat and potatoes kind of dish, with pasta in place of potatoes), and the dish everyone is hollering about--the gnocchi with cauliflower and orange (perfectly pan-seared gnocchi in a nutty, creamy sauce that hugged the dumplings without drowning them).

I tried a couple glasses of wine. The first I didn't care for much (a Cabernet, Merlot blend of some kind), but the second was scrumptious (a Chianti Riserve). We followed dinner up with an Irish coffee and a flourless chocolate torte topped with whipped marscapone.

Every bite of the night was divine. Service was prompt, friendly, and attentive. We didn't hold back and still got out of there for under $90, before tip.

La Grassa is sexy, delicious, affordable, and convenient (plenty of meter parking in that area on the edge of downtown, plus they have $3 valet available). And it's brand new, and getting lots of buzz, so a reservation would be a good idea. Or if you don't mind sidling up to the counter and watching the cooks pop out one succulent dish after another, head on down right now. You won't regret it.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1