Minneapolis Finder Forum MN
RegisterSearchTutorialsMemberlistLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Coffee experiences
Post Coffee experiences 
Allright, some of us are often in dire need of that one cup of coffee that is just better than the normal coffee you find sitting in your coffee machine from the week earlier that tastes a little questionable with a chunk or two of something floating in it.

For the cure to this coffee blunder would be assorted throughout the cities in an array of coffee shops. I'm completely disregarding the many thousands of Starbucks and other overpriced crappy coffee chains that are on every single street corner in the entire city.

One of the greatest that I have found is a quaint little victorian house transformed into a coffee shop on hennepin avenue near the uptown bus station. It serves a great cup in a comfortable atmosphere that would be perfect for a date or even some late night studying in its upstairs study area.
The second and third recommendations that I have are owned by the same people. These two are "The Purple Onion" and "Espresso Expose" located in dinkytown and on washington avenue, respectively.

These three are my picks for the best coffee in Minneapolis.

The house you're referring to is Uncommon Grounds. I've always like the atmosphere in there but everything just seemed a little expensive and somehow pretentious to me. I'd prefer to go a block further down hennipen to Plan B.

Post There are no good coffee shops in the Twin Cities 
The only good espresso based beverage I've ever had in the Twin Cities was the one I made for myself while working at Caribou Coffee. I have never had a good espresso based drink at any coffee shop or restaurant in the area and I have tried to find one. The problem is that no one is trained in this metropolis on the art and yes there is an art to making a really great espresso or latte or cappuchino, etc. And no one teaches this to the slackers who work at all the coffee joints. Also whenever you order one of these beverages at a restaurant it's made by a bartender or server who is neither skilled nor cares about getting you a really great beverage. I learned how to make great espresso beverages from Caribou Coffee 10 years ago when they were a small company and actually cared about quality. I worked for them for 7 years and year after year I saw the quality go down of the employees and the training and the drinks. There are very few if any people in the Cities who actually know how to make a perfect espresso with the correct grind and pressue and water temperature and even how to steam milk correcly and god forbid pour the milk in the cup the right way. Uncommon Grounds has a great atmosphere and that's it. The drinks they serve are terrible. As are every other establishment I've ever been too in the Cities. Do I sound like a snob..yes I am and you should be too when you shell out 5 bucks plus for a poorly made beverage.

I have never had a good espresso based drink at any coffee shop or restaurant in the area and I have tried to find one. The problem is that no one is trained in this metropolis on the art and yes there is an art to making a really great espresso or latte or cappuchino, etc.

I totally agree. Such skills take a long time to learn and perfect. You simply can't get anything good from someone at a Starbucks who has been working there for 2 weeks. This is also why Starbucks never got into the European market. The Europeans have much more sophisticated taste when it comes to good espresso or other coffee products. They consider Starbucks' "fancy" drinks some cheap immitations of the real thing. They rather spend the same amount of money and get the real thing. Here, as long as a drink looks fancy, sounds fancy, and costs more, we think it is good. We then turn around tell everyone that fancy drink we could afford is great.

I have to agree. I have found that if I want something more than the "stand your spoon in your cup" cowboy coffee that always ends up coming from my coffee maker at home, I have to go to certain places more for who is the barista that day than the place itself. I have found a few great coffee artists across the city, some in the little coffee houses and some in the chains, you just have to get to know who is working where to make that five bucks worth while.

Hotel Sofitel has wonderful coffee, cappuccino and cafe latte.

I work at a local coffee shop, and I admit I have no idea how to regulate the pressure or water temperature on an individual-cup's basis. I don't know if it is possible with all espresso machines, but if it is, mschutzee, please let me know! (Though I can steam milk. I considered this a minimal feat for someone who's job it is, until I ordered a latte from Starbucks and the froth was not frothy at all, but large, unsubstantial bubbles of milk. ugh.)

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1