Minneapolis Finder Forum MN
RegisterSearchTutorialsMemberlistLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Nativity Scene Ettiquette 101
Post Nativity Scene Ettiquette 101 
I've always wondered...why do so many people in the US put their plastic, light-up Nativity scenes up in the front yard complete with baby Jesus long before Christmas?

Now, correct me please, if needed, but wouldn't it be better, and perhaps more interesting to put all in place EXCEPT the baby Jesus until Christmas, then add him on the day of his birth?

A creative idea, LadyM, but since December 24/25 was not the birth day of Yeshua anyway, who cares?

Christmas is a total sham holiday. There would never be shepherds "abiding in the fields, keeping watch over their flocks by night" during this time of year. It is far more likely that Yeshua was born on Rosh haShana, an early fall festival in the Jewish calendar that typically falls in August/September.

At best, Hanukkah, which we're in now and typically falls just before Christmas, represents the time in which Miryam was "overshadowed" by the Ruach haKodesh and became pregnant with Yeshua. After all, should not the Light of the World be conceived at the time of the Festival of Lights?

Christmas was originally a Roman pagan holiday that celebrated the birth of Mithras. When Roman Emperor Augustine allegedly "converted" to The Way - as Christianity was then known - he struck a political balance between the followers of Mithras and the followers of Christ by outlawing the Jewish festivals Christians celebrated and adapting the day of Mithras' birth as "the birth of our Savior, Jesus."

In the trade-off, though, the newly-renamed holiday - Christmas - retained almost all of the original pagan/Mithrasian traditions, most of which continue to this day and were never ordained by haShem, nor were they anything Yeshua himself celebrated or would recognize.

If Yeshua were to appear today, I strongly am inclined that if asked about Christmas, he would first gently point out that he wasn't born on that day, and then ask why people claiming to celebrate his birth are eating unclean foods (typically, ham) that he would never eat himself.

But, that's my two cents...

Craig: We think a bit alike in this respect. I suspect that the birthday of Jesus was conveniently shifted to take over the existing religious celebrations instead of trying to ban them outright.

As for his thoughts on the subject of Christmas, he may also be saddened by all that is being done in "his" name for the celebration.

True, LadyM. I'm not convinced Yeshua would like that so many of his self-confessed followers were putting themselves deeply in debt to celebrate a birthday that isn't even his real birthday. Not sure he'd want them doing that even for his real one!

He always struck me as too reasonable for that foolishness.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1