Minneapolis Finder Forum MN
RegisterSearchTutorialsMemberlistLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Do you say yes to mess?
Post Do you say yes to mess? 
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/21/garden/21mess.html?pagewanted=1&8dpc&_ r=1

I love this article. It's about how oft-demonized mess and clutter can actually be signs of a healthy, vigorous, creative mind.

Hurrah. I'm no pig, but I thrive in a certain degree of clutter. I like things being a little...lived in, not overly tidy, just slightly off-kilter. To the point that it used to really bother me when my old roommate would "tidy" my stuff, thinking he was doing me a favor. And I was like, "No! I wanted that stuff there!"

Are you tidy? Messy? Somewhere in the middle? Do your messes wax and wane like the moon, or do you keep things in a constant state of (dis)order?

Post Ouch 
Dora-
I find myself in a constant struggle to keep things reasonably neat and in order. FYI, I have found the "Get Organized Now!" website to be somewhat helpful in keeping things in reasonable check.

One thing I discovered in sharing observations with another "organizationally challenged" friend.

I think that some people, like myself, are excessively "visually oriented". In order to remember things, or to remember to do things, they have to be laid out in plain sight. So my world is a series of tabletops and wall space plastered with things I need to remember to do or do something with.

The only thing standing between me and a visit from the Housing Inspector is a list. If I can keep a list of the things I need to do, the things I have, and where they are located, I can get by adequately.

I was going to say a lot more things, but I forgot to write them on my list...

I heard some said that people with higher productivity often have messier offices.

But on the other side of the coin, if you spend more time finding things than doing things, you should clean up.

I keep my home office clean though. Just in case someone walks in, I don't feel too embarrassed to show them.

*deep sigh* I am in the midst of de-cluttering my boss' office at this exact moment. He is quite creative and intelligent, but spends tons of time trying to find things, including notes he's taken since he has at least 10 legal pads in various stages of use at any given time scattered across his office.

I've found the book How To Be Organized in Spite of Yourself by Sunny Schlenger and Roberta Rosech quite helpful...but I'm a bit overwhelmed at present.

And not to point fingers just at my boss, I managed to organize my own desk, but now I face the "spare/storage" bedroom at home to make sure New Year's Eve guests can crash at our place if neccessary.

My husband suggested tying a rope to my waist and if he doesn't see me in 12 hours he'll haul me out and administer beer immediately. Razz

Sorry dorajar, but not cleaning up after yourself does not make you smart, creative… Nor does eating vegetables.

Sorry dorajar, but not cleaning up after yourself does not make you smart, creative… Nor does eating vegetables.

Are we going to get into a causation vs. correlation debate?

dbthinking wrote:

Are we going to get into a causation vs. correlation debate?

cum hoc ergo propter hoc

Not implying causation, dbthinking. Just observing the correlation. Very Happy

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1