Minneapolis Finder Forum MN
RegisterSearchTutorialsMemberlistLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Next President?
Author Message
Reply with quote
Post Next President? 
Who do you want to see in the White House after Bush?

Reply with quote
Post  
I think it's still far too early to be able to give an informed answer that question.

But out of all the potential, rumored, touted candidates so far, I'd pick Obama. No question.

Reply with quote
Post  
I hope it's a democrat because the sooner we ruin this country the sooner we can start to rebuild.

Reply with quote
Post  
I'm still sticking with my dream ticket of Gingrich-Watts, although I'd happily vote for Rice-Watts if Condi decided to run...

Imagine... our first all-African-American ticket as well as the first woman, and both candidates conservative Republicans!

I'd vote for them in a heartbeat over ANY Democrat, without a moment's hesitation...

Reply with quote
Post  
CraigInTwinCities wrote:
although I'd happily vote for Rice-Watts if Condi decided to run...


Not sure about if Watts is a VP-caliber material. But I'd really want to see Rice in the White House. Her intelligence can't be matched by any former or current president.

Another one I'd like to see in the White House is Colin Powell. A Powell-Rice team would be hard to beat.

Obama has stirred up some excitements, especially when the media is overhyping him. But excitement is all he can offer. I don't see any substance in him.

Reply with quote
Post Wild Card 
An interesting twist on the discussion might be added.

The rumor mill spun furiously a couple of years ago regarding Condi Rice's sexual orientation. I have seen no confirmation that she is a lesbian, nor have I heard any denials. Is her wish to preserve her privacy perhaps the reason she is not seeking elective office? We know that if she were to seek it, the bloodhounds would be merciless in examining her personal life. If she is gay, she would have little choice but to come out.

Now wouldn't that be the ultimate coup for Republicans- a black lesbian president.

Somehow I have difficulty seeing Charles Dobson lining up behind that ticket...

Reply with quote
Post  
Not interested in Powell. Too much of a RINO. Too timid on foreign policy.

Reply with quote
Post Re: Wild Card 
thrice wrote:

The rumor mill spun furiously a couple of years ago regarding Condi Rice's sexual orientation.


I thought she dated a NFL player a while back.

Reply with quote
Post Re: Wild Card 
Terry wrote:
thrice wrote:

The rumor mill spun furiously a couple of years ago regarding Condi Rice's sexual orientation.


I thought she dated a NFL player a while back.


Randy Moss Question

Reply with quote
Post Unanswered 
According to Wikipedia, she dated Rick Upchurch- in the 1970's, while in college in Colorado. They also repeat rumors that she was involved with a Canadian politician in 2006.

The question is relevant. Not because her orientation would effect her qualifications or performance, but because of the fact that the public wants to know their elected officials as intimately as possible. They are endless fodder for the likes of People magazine, etc. We want to know their personal history, tastes in foods, pets, and everything else about them.

I think the American people would be very troubled by a shroud of mystery over the personal life of the President, or a prospective president. I personally think the "asexual" label is generally false and most people just don't buy it. It worked for Michael Jackson for a while, until the public learned that the truth about him, and it destroyed him completely.

I think Condi is a brilliant woman who has the tools to be the smartest, best informed president we've ever had. I just think that the unanswered questions would make the voting public very uncomfortable. Like any other celebrity, the public likes to pretend that they know politicians well and can relate to them as people. Failure to be candid on this fundamental human issue puts a barrier between a celebrity and the public that is very difficult to overcome.

Reply with quote
Post  
This is the first I've heard her orientation questions, and I doubt seriously there's any validity to it. Sounds like a smear campaign to disguise racist sentiment.

But frankly, I don't much care who she sleeps with, her conservative foreign policy credentials are more important. And that she has in spades.

Folks toss around the lesbian label on nearly all women in positions of power. Not often is it true... Look at what Hillary (who I oppose politically) has had to endure despite sticking with Slick Willie all these years. Few people ever stop to think she might really love the schmuck.

Reply with quote
Post  
The president of the United states is to big a job for a single man or woman.

Reply with quote
Post  
dbthinking wrote:
The president of the United states is to big a job for a single man or woman.


Do you mean single as is "one" or single as in "unmarried"? Because I'm not sure that being single or married has any impact whatsoever, if that's what you mean. We've had some single presidents in office in our history. Not many, and one actually got married while in office... but it's not unprecedented... or unPresidented, LOL

Reply with quote
Post  
Terry wrote:
Not sure about if Watts is a VP-caliber material.


Hmm. Watts served four terms in the US Congress, and was named Chairman of the House Republican Conference, the fourth-highest position in House leadership for the GOP. He put himself on a self-imposed term-limit and left office after his fourth term... although he originally intended to serve only two terms. He's also the current chairman of GOPAC, where he's a tireless GOP fundraiser. And he's a tireless leader in the private sector... Look at this, from his Wikipedia bio:

Wikipedia wrote:
He is chairman of the J.C. Watts Companies, which works with clients on strategies for business development, communications and public affairs. He serves on the boards of the Boy Scouts of America, the United States Military Academy, Africare, BNSF Railway, Clear Channel Communications, Dillard's and Terex Corporation. He is the current chairman of GOPAC. He writes a monthly column for The Sporting News and is a frequent political commentator on many nationally-syndicated political talk shows, including The Tavis Smiley Show, The Situation Room, Hannity and Colmes, and Meet the Press.


He also served as an associate pastor and a youth pastor in a Southern Baptist church, meaning he'd connect well with the party's conservative base. And he's proven to be a great communicator, taking some pretty fearless, "I don't care what names people will call me for this" stands on issues, which puts him in the tradition of "tell the truth and damn the press" leaders as Reagan and Gingrich.

So, all this taken into consideration, I'd say he's about 10 times more qualified than Barak Obama, who is everyone's favorite anti-Hillary candidate right now...

And, as I said, he'd be Veep and groomed to be president under someone like Rice or Gingrich... He's my favorite VP guy, no matter who wins the top of the GOP ticket.... Anyone who does needs to look at Watts, for the future of the party!

Reply with quote
Post  
CraigInTwinCities wrote:
dbthinking wrote:
The president of the United states is to big a job for a single man or woman.


Do you mean single as is "one" or single as in "unmarried"? Because I'm not sure that being single or married has any impact whatsoever, if that's what you mean. We've had some single presidents in office in our history. Not many, and one actually got married while in office... but it's not unprecedented... or unPresidented, LOL


The only single President i found was Buchanan, and he just about deystroyed the country. I just think it is a pretty hard job for one person to do without support from ones family around, and I don't mean Grandmas and Grandfathers

By the end of Buchanan's term, the sectional crisis had worsened—seven states had seceded by the time Buchanan left office in 1861

Reply with quote
Post  
So your thesis is that Buchanan was a bad president because Buchanan was single? Does that mean if he'd been married, he'd have made fewer boneheaded mistakes?

Hell, we've had plenty of terrible married presidents. (Clinton... U.S. Grant... Clinton... Nixon... did I mention Clinton?)

Sorry... your thesis doesn't hold up. I don't buy it.

Reply with quote
Post  
CraigInTwinCities wrote:
So your thesis is that Buchanan was a bad president because Buchanan was single? Does that mean if he'd been married, he'd have made fewer boneheaded mistakes?

Hell, we've had plenty of terrible married presidents. (Clinton... U.S. Grant... Clinton... Nixon... did I mention Clinton?)

Sorry... your thesis doesn't hold up. I don't buy it.


did I write a thesis, you are a number 1 bonehead

Reply with quote
Post  
I'm a bonehead?

Anyone knows that, used in that context, thesis means "the central idea of your post."

Try developing and defending your ideas with substance. Name-calling is childish and does nothing to prove or disprove your point.

Reply with quote
Post  
CraigInTwinCities wrote:
I'm a bonehead?

Anyone knows that, used in that context, thesis means "the central idea of your post."

Try developing and defending your ideas with substance. Name-calling is childish and does nothing to prove or disprove your point.


I just think it is a pretty hard job for one person to do without support from ones family around, and I don't mean Grandmas and Grandfathers


this was the central idea of my post bonehead

Reply with quote
Post Brass Tacks 
Craig-
I think most here are not foolish enough to be swayed by partisan slurs and rumormongers. I'm assuming that this is a real-world discussion of electability, not posturing or what-if-ism.

Despite the odds, yes, man does occasionally bite dog. But the probability is little enough that it probably isn't worth mentioning. Yes, Condi Rice comes from a religious background, and is a driven, brilliant professional with discriminating tastes, no doubt. But that explanation of her status falls short. She is also an extremely scruitinized public figure who has never had a romantic relationship of any kind that has been reported.

Common sense tells us that when someone achieves great celebrity, say, the most powerful black woman in the world, the media uses its vast resources to track down every salient detail of their lives. They go thru the past like detectives, interviewing everybody from classmates, teachers, neighbors to the dogs on the porch in their home towns. No one seems to want to talk about Condi Rice's personal life. If they did, rest assured it would be a featured article in People.

Once again, I make no value judgement on her. Man does occasionally bite dog. But experience shows us that many public people who remained single throughout their lives were concealing a secret. Hey, even Rock Hudson and Liberace had PR people who conjured up phony romances to conceal their personal secrets. Condi doesn't even give us that.

I guess the major point is that the American people just won't settle for that. They enjoy vicarious speculation too much. When we have people with nothing better to do than guess at prospective mates and due dates for the White House dog, you can rest assured that they won't stop asking for answers about the President's life. That's human nature.

Reply with quote
Post  
Thrice,

Thanks for a reasoned response, unlike some immature folks on this thread.

What I'm saying about Condi is that there's no evidence to prove anything like that, it doesn't matter anyway, and by engaging in the speculation, folks are doing the very rumor-mongering and "vicarious speculation" that most folks condemn when it's aimed at someone like Hillary.

It's like the tizzy people got themselves worked up into over the death of Vince Foster, practically putting the gun in Bill Clinton's hand, based on nothing other than a lot of loose gossip.

As for DBThinking, since he's clearly more interested in name-calling than any actual thinking, he has nothing of substance to contribute to the discussing and from now on, I'm ignoring him. I've made my counterpoint to him already.

Reply with quote
Post  
CraigInTwinCities wrote:
Thrice,

Thanks for a reasoned response, unlike some immature folks on this thread.

What I'm saying about Condi is that there's no evidence to prove anything like that, it doesn't matter anyway, and by engaging in the speculation, folks are doing the very rumor-mongering and "vicarious speculation" that most folks condemn when it's aimed at someone like Hillary.

It's like the tizzy people got themselves worked up into over the death of Vince Foster, practically putting the gun in Bill Clinton's hand, based on nothing other than a lot of loose gossip.

As for DBThinking, since he's clearly more interested in name-calling than any actual thinking, he has nothing of substance to contribute to the discussing and from now on, I'm ignoring him. I've made my counterpoint to him already.


Consider yourself officially removed from next years Christmas card list.

Reply with quote
Post  
dbthinking wrote:

Consider yourself officially removed from next years Christmas card list.


LOL... I celebrate Hanukkah

Display posts from previous:
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum