Minneapolis Finder Forum MN
RegisterSearchTutorialsMemberlistLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
NY Times Salutes Nordeast
Post NY Times Salutes Nordeast 
http://travel.nytimes.com/2010/04/25/travel/25surfacing.html

You know you're trendy when the New York Times travel section talks up your charm.

I took a slow drive down Central the other day and it really is spiffing up nicely. It's got a shot for some real success if they can slow the conversion of area single family homes into dumpy rentals for lowlifes. Owner occupancy rate is a critical factor in the long term stability of any neighborhood.

What's your favorite part of Minneapolis, and why?

JAX, University just a block south of the 22nd Station strip club.

Has brunch there today.

$30 a pop for adults aint cheap but it's a nice place. Be sure to save room for desert.

I like Robbinsdale. There's some amount of scary moving in, but it seems to be well contained. I've got Bill's Gun Range down the street, some nice bars, decent roads, butcher shop, hardware store. It's got a lot of small town atmosphere, except it's not a million miles away from civilization.

I've been renting in Nordeast for years, so I hope at least some owners keep renting to low-lives like me. Smile

Oh, come on Dora, no need to be defensive about it. Renting one's residence is a normal part of the life cycle, and some people choose to do it forever, but it's a simple fact that once you take an entire neighborhood of single family homes and not a single one of them contains the people who own it, you've got a major problem, as the Northside does with at least a 75% non-owner-occupied housing rate. There's a hell of a lot different attitude between people who are in and involved for the long haul, and those who are just passing through on their most recent stop on the eviction tour.

No, I hear what you're saying, I was just making a little joke.

I appreciate that. Sometimes a tad slow on the uptake. Confused

The whole thing got me thinking about a situation that still frosts me.

I had been complaining to the police for a couple of years now about a house in South Minneapolis. It was very clear to me that it had been taken over by gangsters who lounged on the porch and yard every single day, weather permitting. But apparently there were no neighborhood complaints on it, so nothing was done.

Fast forward to last month. This house came to police attention in a big way, after the residents and one of their visitors exchanged gunfire and some of the rounds ended up inside a school bus with a driver and kids narrowly missed. As it turns out, the house got raided a couple of times, and the residents identified as members of several major street gangs and had long drug dealing histories. The residents were controlling the parking on the street in front of their rental house, forbidding neighborhood people from parking there or charging them a fee to do so. The slumlord, as it turns out, was a Plymouth resident who was bogusly claiming homestead on the property as her home. It just infuriates me to see situations like this where a small group of criminal bullies can hold an entire neighborhood hostage because of fear or disinterest until it spirals completely out of control. Happens far too often, IMHO.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1