Minneapolis Finder Forum MN
RegisterSearchTutorialsMemberlistLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Eating Disorders
Post Eating Disorders 
Did you know Minnesota has one of the premier eating disorder inpatient facilities in the nation? Methodist Hospital's Eating Disorders Institute, located on the 8th floor, provides a lot of care for ED patients throughout the entire Midwest. How do I know? I was an inpatient patient there for 19 long days, and a partial hospitalization patient for 9 weeks total.

If you know someone in your life with an eating disorder, please step in and try to address the issue. EDI's website provides a lot of information for both patients and families. Whether you suspect you yourself have an ED or you suspect someone you love does, please take a look at the website and get yourself educated.

Post Eating Disorders 
Thank you for this post. Can you tell me about your experience before and after the treatment? How are you now? Recovered? Do you participate in 12 step groups? Does the program consider overeating a disorder or do they only treat A&B? Thanx

Thank you for this post. Can you tell me about your experience before and after the treatment? How are you now? Recovered? Do you participate in 12 step groups? Does the program consider overeating a disorder or do they only treat A&B? Thanx

My life before treatment was consumed with nothing but the eating disorder. I barely went out, I kept myself shut away from friends and family, and I spent all my time on an anorexia/bulimia message board. I barely ate; I was eating anywhere from 200-600 calories per day. Some days I'd eat more than that, panic, and throw up everything I'd just eaten. It was a miserable existence.

My weight plummeted to unhealthy levels. In January, I realized I needed help and I started going to therapy at The Emily Program. I then lost 15 more pounds in 6 weeks, and my therapist put me into the hospital at Methodist. (Well, I went voluntarily, but I wouldn't have gone without his suggestion and call to put me on the list. I thought I was doing okay. I knew I was thin, but I didn't think it was out of control.)

I got to Methodist and was told that my heart was in danger. My blood pressure had a nasty habit of crashing every time I stood up, and I was rail thin, barely able to eat. I spent 19 days there before I was declared healthy enough to leave, and then I went to the Partial program for the next 4 weeks. That program requires you to go to the hospital every day M-F from 11am-7pm. You eat meals and snacks there and have lots of intensive therapy.

I got out of Partial and was fine for a month or so, then I started to backslide. The backsliding got worse and worse until I was throwing up my food again. I knew I needed to go back into treatment, so I went back into the Partial program, this time for 5 weeks.

I only got out of that 2 or 3 weeks ago and am now in outpatient care through the Emily Program. I see my therapist once a week and my nutritionist once a week. I am not recovered. But I am getting there.

EDI also has a binge eating disorder program. Simple overeating isn't quite the same as BED, but the site can help you determine if you have Binge Eating Disorder.

Did this help? If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask me here or PM me.

-Voo

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1