Minneapolis Finder Forum MN
RegisterSearchTutorialsMemberlistLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Brett Favre Graceful Exit
Post Brett Favre Graceful Exit 
Brett Favre led the Packers to a victory over the Bears in perhaps his last game. Favre was in tears when he was giving the after-game interview. John Madden said that he thought this was it for Favre, otherwise, Favre would not have teary eyes. Al Michael commented that when Favre was being interviewed, the stadium was playing the song "Auld Lang Syne" in the background. Perhaps the tears, the song and the final win were all a coincidence, or all but a coincidence.

Favre is a true class act and he has made the games worth watching and following!

Correction: Favre has grown into a class act, but for many of his early (and best) years, he was anything but.

As a younger QB, Favre was cocky, arrogant, outspoken and pretty much of a *expletive deleted*. (And no, not all good QBs are...)

I think what changed him, other than natural maturity, was the addiction to the painkiller Vicodin that he developed for a period of time, then eventually kicked. Beating that seemed to humble him enough that he mellowed just enough to be a decent human being, in spite of being so talented.

I agree. It takes a good player a long time to become a great one. At the start of his NBA career, Michael Jordan was not who he was when he left. He became a lot more mature after his father was murdered by a couple of punks who wanted to steal his NBA champ ring.

Post Betting He Stays 
In spite of the theatrics, I have real doubts that Favre will retire only 7 TD's away from the all-time record. He still performs at a highly competitive level and even a year older would be better than anything the Packers could bring in to replace him. For all his merits and faults, he still has an ego, and to walk away without the recognition of his historic status seems rather unlike him. I personally think in his prime he has been the most creative and exciting QB I've seen, and we still get flashes of that from him.

Post Re: Betting He Stays 
Madden said Favre told him that if he came back next season, it would not be for stats or money. Favre is far from his peak, but he is still way better than nothing-but-a-fraud QB's like Culpepper.

I'd say the same about Brad Johnson. Not sure if he is the only one with a Super Bowl ring on the team right now. Johnson is not at his best, but he is still way better than Tarvaris Jackson. Tarvaris Jacskon needs another 4 years to be where Brad Johnson is right now. Given those pathetic Vikes wide receivers, no QB in the league can go anywhere with this team. It is not fair to blame Johnson.

Farve: You never know whether he's gonna stay or retire until he says, but they have a decent replacement in line now.

Johnson: You're high. Wink Johnson definitely won't be back with the Vikings next season, although he may be on some team.

T-Jack: The jury's out on him, so I expect the Vikes to sign a younger veteran than Johnson to come in and bridge the gap. Available names include Jeff Garcia, Damon Huard, and Byron Leftwich.

Other Vikings that probably won't be back: Jim Kleinsasser, Jermaine Wiggins, Travis Taylor, Troy Williamson, Fred Smoot, Napoleon Harris, Darren Sharper and Dwight Smith.

Post Brett Favre Returns 
He still has a lot of game left in him, so he shall return:

Brett Favre is BACK!!!

Good for the team and great for the sport.

Post Re: Brett Favre Returns 
WhatsUp wrote:
He still has a lot of game left in him, so he shall return:

Brett Favre is BACK!!!

Good for the team and great for the sport.

He should have retired at least a season ago, if not two; it's sad when once-great QBs don't know when it's time to leave the game and end up posting bad seasons at the end of their careers... Joe Montana and Terry Bradshaw both made that mistake, also... even Marino, to a lesser degree. Only Elway reached such highs and knew when it was time to hang 'em up.

Favre is far from his peak performance. But he is still far better than most quarterbacks playing right now. Green Bay did very badly earlier this season, then came back and almost got to the playoff. If you are building a team with a lot of young players, having someone like Favre is of tremendous value.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1