Minneapolis Finder Forum MN
RegisterSearchTutorialsMemberlistLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Religious Freedom Riddle
Post Religious Freedom Riddle 
Here's a toughie...

Imagine that a public school hires a Muslim woman as a teacher, and she chooses to wear her Hijab head covering while teaching, as is required for her faith and is a clear demonstration of same. Or extend the example to the highly unlikely hiring of a Catholic nun who chooses to wear her "habit" as required by her religious order and also demonstrates her faith.

An atheist parent sees the instructor so attired, and objects, to the point of filing legal action to stop this religious display in a public school.

Who wins? Who should win? Whose right trumps whose?

To my knowledge, wearing attire specific to one's religion does not force that religious system onto another. Also...IMHO, many Atheists are more sensitive than a naked man in a porcupine pen.

Post And vegetarians surrounded by carnivores 
Quote:
Also...IMHO, many Atheists are more sensitive than a naked man in a porcupine pen.

Probably also true of black people surrounded by Klansman. And sane people committed to mental hospitals.

We had a disagreement a while back, LadyM, and I meant to get back to it (IIRC, it was something you said I considered insulting to a large number of women), but I lost track of it. Perhaps just as well. You deserved an answer, though. My apologies.

NP Odin. As I am a rather staunch believer that whenever women have pushed for exact equality we've gotten the short end of the stick, I'd likely still disagree with ya, but it's all good.

I'm a witch surrounded by born again Christians so I tend to be alternately shocked and amused by them. Thankfully they've made no attempt to convert me and I've made no move to inform them about my religious choices. When asked if their obvious religious fervor would bother me I simply said that I was quite religious in my own right, but considered it a more private matter.

Surprised you said witch rather than Wiccan.

Hopefully I've conveyed respect more often than not. Smile

Post Hmmm 
Actually, LadyM, I discovered that at least two states, Oregon and Pennsylvania, have already ruled on this issue. Both have specifically banned teachers from wearing religious clothing to school- in one case a Muslim, in another, a Sikh. Both sued, and in both cases, the state courts upheld the prohibitive laws. My education continues!

*sigh* I'm saddened to see that, thrice. We should be a bit more grown up about things, but then again, too many folks have issues with image anyway.

As for the "witch" vs "Wiccan"...I am a solitary practitioner, not initiated by any specific group since many strike me as overly complex or just plain silly. Very Happy

I love The Craft. It's one of those wonderful guilty-pleasure movies. Wink

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1