Minneapolis Finder Forum MN
RegisterSearchTutorialsMemberlistLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Least favorite commercial?
Post Least favorite commercial? 
The Addidas ad that begins with a black millionaire who couldn't pass his college entrance exams telling me I'm a fool and what I believe. The commercial ends with my being a fool being an open question.

If insulting potential customers is a viable sales strategy, what's next? Burger King telling me I'm fat? H&R Block telling me I'm stupid? Lehman Brothers telling me I'm poor? (But you're not fat, stupid and poor, are you?)

The way I see it, most T.V. advertisements start from the presumption that you are gullible enough to be convinced to buy a product that you didn't want and don't need based on seeing the ad; that is, to say, that they come out of the gate assuming you are a fool.

Post Not following 
Quote:
The way I see it, most T.V. advertisements start from the presumption that you are gullible enough to be convinced to buy a product that you didn't want and don't need based on seeing the ad; that is, to say, that they come out of the gate assuming you are a fool.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to be saying that If I'm persuaded to buy something I didn't previously want or need, I'm a fool. Is that an accurate summary?

Suppose a friend persuades me to go on a blind date with a friend of his, a date I didn't previously want or need, but we go out and have a good time. Was my friend assuming I was a fool when he sold me on the date? Was I a fool to buy into it?

Post Re: Not following 
OdinofAzgard wrote:
Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to be saying that If I'm persuaded to buy something I didn't previously want or need, I'm a fool. Is that an accurate summary?

Suppose a friend persuades me to go on a blind date with a friend of his, a date I didn't previously want or need, but we go out and have a good time. Was my friend assuming I was a fool when he sold me on the date? Was I a fool to buy into it?

We're talking about television commercials here. With very few exceptions, a TV commercial is not your friend.

We're talking about television commercials here. With very few exceptions, a TV commercial is not your friend.

Sooo, if a TV commercial sells me something I didnt need or previously want, I'm a fool? But if a friend sells me something I didn't need or previously want, I'm not a fool? I'm aware we were talking about TV commercials, but I was trying to isolate what it is in your philosophy that seems to make the buying of an unneeded or previously unwanted thing a fool.

Suppose I see a TV commercial for an aquarium. I don't need one and hadn't thought about buying one, but after seeing the commercial, I call the 800 number and order one. Assuming I'm subsequently happy with the purchase, what is it about the transaction that makes me a fool?

Suppose I see a Dominos Pizza TV commercial. I don't need a pizza and hadn't been thinking about buying one, but after seeing the commercial, I decide I want one, order it, eat it and am happy with the decision to buy it. Does being sold a pizza by the commerical make me a fool? If so, why?

Quote:

Sooo, if a TV commercial sells me something I didnt need or previously want, I'm a fool? But if a friend sells me something I didn't need or previously want, I'm not a fool? I'm aware we were talking about TV commercials, but I was trying to isolate what it is in your philosophy that seems to make the buying of an unneeded or previously unwanted thing a fool.

Suppose I see a TV commercial for an aquarium. I don't need one and hadn't thought about buying one, but after seeing the commercial, I call the 800 number and order one. Assuming I'm subsequently happy with the purchase, what is it about the transaction that makes me a fool?

Suppose I see a Dominos Pizza TV commercial. I don't need a pizza and hadn't been thinking about buying one, but after seeing the commercial, I decide I want one, order it, eat it and am happy with the decision to buy it. Does being sold a pizza by the commerical make me a fool? If so, why?

A commercial is designed to separate you from your money. It is a biased message with an agenda that is antithetical to your personal interests, i.e. fulfilling your needs and wants in the most economical way possible. It works by convincing you to substitute what you really need and want with an image and a brand. I believe that if you are convinced to buy a product simply by seeing that product's commercials, then you are very gullible, and I have a nice tract of land that I would love to sell you; and I can throw in some hot stock tips as well.

Least favorite? Anything involving Domino's Pizza, Bud Light, or Ronnie Deutsch. All are stupid at best.

Absolute worst: whichever company is advertising HD using the new Dukes of Hazzard bimbo.

Dunno. Don't watch tv. Commercials give me hives.

"Get your degree / set yourself free / National American Universi-teeee"

Now I guess I just hate all commercials.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1