Minneapolis Finder Forum MN
RegisterSearchTutorialsMemberlistLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
The sin of drinking bottled water?
Author Message
Reply with quote
Post The sin of drinking bottled water? 
As reported in the Star Tribune there is a small but growing movement among people of faith to avoid bottled water. In their views, clean water is a God granted thing and privatizing it is sinful.

Hmmm...has anyone told that to any of the municipal water folks? I seem to recall paying a water bill every month.

You can see details of the story at http://www.startribune.com/614/story/904829.html

Reply with quote
Post  
More liberal B.S.

You would think you would have better things to do you stinkin witch.

Reply with quote
Post  
dbthinking wrote:
More liberal B.S.

You would think you would have better things to do you stinkin witch.


Excuse me.

I don't normally comment on the style and tone of people's posts, and I don't necessarily agree with everything that LadyM says, but I found this comment not only unnecessary, but openly hostile and counter to the whole idea of having a discussion forum in the first place. So far, I haven't seen anybody coming out right off the bat and hurling insults at you for referencing a newspaper article. I mean, I could think of dozens of names and taunts that would probably be appropriate for you. Hell, I have the urge to call you a "loudmouth jackass" right about now, but I choose not to, for the sake of facilitating discussion.

I only arrived on this board a few days ago, and already I'm getting pretty thoroughly disgusted with the lack of respect that is shown by some of the members here. For crying out loud, people, talking in a respectful manner is not that difficult, regardless of whether or not you agree.

But I digress....

As to the actual topic of this thread:
Clean water as a gift from God? Sure, why not? But then again, following that logic, isn't everything a gift from God?

Bottled water is a ridiculous waste in its own right. The top-selling brand of bottled water, Coca-Cola Company's Dasani, is not even spring water from the ground. They take regular old tap water and put it through a series of treatments to remove chlorine and a few pollutants, but that's about it. It's a manufactured product like anything else.[/i]

Reply with quote
Post  
Yo coyote.

db's a jackass.

Sorry, I try to be as respectful as I possibly can be, and I've refrained time and time again from sinking to his level and retaliating in kind, but it's time to call a spade a spade. He's a bitter, lonely, angry, angry man. The hate he spews is truly sickening.

And I agree. I like this forum. I like dishin' with folks about politics, news, current events and what we ate for breakfast. But some people really do seem to get a kick out of hate-fests, and would rather turn this into a paintball fight. With the paintballs landing HARD. And I value my mental, emotional, and spiritual health too much to engage in that. Not worth it.

db, go away. Please.

Reply with quote
Post  
Well, LadyM, I'm a person of faith... and I've never heard of this before.

Don't trust an anti-faith rag like the Strib to be accurate about what's going on in the world of people of faith, I say... It's like trusting Pravda as a source of US news... Or al-Jazeera as a source of good things happening in Israel.

Oh, and no, I wouldn't trust a Christian newspaper for what's going on in Wicca, either, LOL...

Reply with quote
Post  
CraigInTwinCities wrote:
Well, LadyM, I'm a person of faith... and I've never heard of this before.

Don't trust an anti-faith rag like the Strib to be accurate about what's going on in the world of people of faith, I say... It's like trusting Pravda as a source of US news... Or al-Jazeera as a source of good things happening in Israel.

Oh, and no, I wouldn't trust a Christian newspaper for what's going on in Wicca, either, LOL...


Star Tribune didn't originate this article. They didn't even write it. They reprinted it from Religion News Service, a fairly old and respected reporting agency that regularly contributes articles to The New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, Time, US News and World Report, the Catholic Register and Christianity Today. Based on the wide range of publications that pick up RNS's articles, I am guessing that they can be considered a pretty unbiased source.

I have checked around, and, it is true that the organizations referenced in the article are, in fact, espousing that bottled water is a wasteful use of resources (which is true), and that wasting such a valuable resource that is not readily available to the poorest people of the world can be considered sinful, when you take into account that Jesus told his followers to unconditionally help those who were disadvantaged.

Still, the point that the spokesman for the International Bottled Water Association made is a good one: bottle water accounts for a very small amount of the ground water that we use up. I think the idea here, though, is that bottled water is a very powerful symbol: it is purely a luxury, not necessary for any sector of our country's health or economy. They pick it out because it is very visible as a selfish, society-wide behavior, and it's hard to defend its practice from any universally compassionate point of view.

Reply with quote
Post  
Well, like I said, no community of faith I've ever been a part of is talking about this.

Reply with quote
Post  
I figured this was more an organizational thing than something generated by a community in general. I have not heard this from anyone I know as a "person of faith". In fact, I mentioned it to several of them and they laughed, thinking it was a joke.

Reply with quote
Post  
Yup, LadyM, that fits with my experience, too... "first I've heard of it" was the typical response from various friends.

Perhaps this is coming out of the liberal wing of various churches? (There is such a thing.) Sound like something Unitarians and such might embrace.

Reply with quote
Post  
CraigInTwinCities wrote:
Yup, LadyM, that fits with my experience, too... "first I've heard of it" was the typical response from various friends.

Perhaps this is coming out of the liberal wing of various churches? (There is such a thing.) Sound like something Unitarians and such might embrace.


The National Coalition of American Nuns is a Catholic organization that focuses on women's rights, but other than that, tends to cleave fairly close to the Vatican line. Catholicism, of course, includes many major tenets that do not fit neatly into a left-right dichotomy. Presbyterians for Restoring Creation is a Presbyterian environmental group. Presbyterianism, as I understand it, places special emphasis on interpreting the Bible as-is, and fairly literally at that. It's a pretty conservative idea, but they also might be taking that idea of "Man as God's Steward of the Earth" thing very seriously, which you might call liberal. The United Churches of Christ are a more left-leaning organization, in that they openly endorse women as priests, and 80% of their delegates at a recent Synod voted in favor of officially endorsing gay marriage.

The Unitarians, at present, have said nothing official about this.

Reply with quote
Post  
coyote wrote:
The National Coalition of American Nuns is a Catholic organization that focuses on women's rights, but other than that, tends to cleave fairly close to the Vatican line. Catholicism, of course, includes many major tenets that do not fit neatly into a left-right dichotomy. Presbyterians for Restoring Creation is a Presbyterian environmental group. Presbyterianism, as I understand it, places special emphasis on interpreting the Bible as-is, and fairly literally at that. It's a pretty conservative idea, but they also might be taking that idea of "Man as God's Steward of the Earth" thing very seriously, which you might call liberal. The United Churches of Christ are a more left-leaning organization, in that they openly endorse women as priests, and 80% of their delegates at a recent Synod voted in favor of officially endorsing gay marriage.

The Unitarians, at present, have said nothing official about this.


Coyote,

Thanks for the breakdown, that clarifies it a bit.

None of those are communities of faith I have had contact with, though I'm aware of most of them.

Political liberalism and religious liberalism are mildly different things, just as political conservatism and religious conservatism are mildly different things... though most in the media are not educated enough to make such distinctions.

All of the organizations you mentioned are mainstream/mainline churches and do fall under a "left of center" religious liberalism mindset, including the Nun organization within the Catholic church and the Presbyterians. (The Catholic church is a very mixed bag; it's so huge that there's plenty within it that are "right of center" "in the center" and "left of center." It's a big tent church.)

That's not to say they're right or wrong. But it does tell me why I've never heard any of this stuff before, since my tiny little sect of messianic Judaism isn't a part of those movements.

Reply with quote
Post  
dorajar wrote:
Yo coyote.

db's a jackass.

Sorry, I try to be as respectful as I possibly can be, and I've refrained time and time again from sinking to his level and retaliating in kind, but it's time to call a spade a spade. He's a bitter, lonely, angry, angry man. The hate he spews is truly sickening.

And I agree. I like this forum. I like dishin' with folks about politics, news, current events and what we ate for breakfast. But some people really do seem to get a kick out of hate-fests, and would rather turn this into a paintball fight. With the paintballs landing HARD. And I value my mental, emotional, and spiritual health too much to engage in that. Not worth it.

db, go away. Please.



I tried to start this year on a good note bitch, but certain folks(craig, lady m, Odino, dorajar) went way out of their way to insult me and call me names and because of that I will do the same.

Furthermore dorajar, I am not angry, or lonely, at all. What i say on here is much kinder then what liberals say on t.v. about George Bush, and you calling me a jackass or anything else is a complament, I WANT TO BE YOUR ENEMY because you are one of mine.

You have said OdinofAzgard rocks but yet he calls mother Teresa a "gullible bitch" in his post's, yet I am a jackass for calling a self-proclaimed witch a witch.

Reply with quote
Post  
sorry I called you a jackass, db. And lonely and angry. I don't know you and that was unkind of me.

Reply with quote
Post  
Quote:

I tried to start this year on a good note bitch, but certain folks(craig, lady m, Odino, dorajar) went way out of their way to insult me and call me names and because of that I will do the same.


Where'd I call you names, DB? I'm not a big fan of the Alice Cooper shtick, so I generally try to refrain from emulating it.

Reply with quote
Post  
I have no problem being called a witch. A stinking witch does bother me a bit...because I did take a shower today, thanks!

As I've said before, I just assume that this is being done for comedy rather than in all seriousness, so I will continue to treat it as such.

And no one needs to "stand up for me". I can defend myself quite ably, but I thank you none the less. Very Happy

Display posts from previous:
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum