Minneapolis Finder Forum MN
RegisterSearchTutorialsMemberlistLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Martin Luther King Day
Post Martin Luther King Day 
Has Martin Luther King, Jr. Day become just another another freebie day - no school for the kids, no mail, no banking. Long week-end for families to relax and play, without giving honor to this man who so nobly led confrontation of segregation in the United States?

I'm at home today. Just got done with an hour of yoga in a pool of sunshine coming through my window. The snow and the yoga and the sun and the day off are adding up to a beautiful day for me.

So I don't know that I'm doing too much reflecting on MLK today. But I certainly do thank him for the go-jus day! Very Happy

Last year on this day, New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin declared the city "will be chocolate at the end of the day." So, I'd say this is a day for those like Ray Nagin to advance their agenda and promote the racial divide.

Last year on this day, New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin declared the city "will be chocolate at the end of the day." So, I'd say this is a day for those like Ray Nagin to advance their agenda and promote the racial divide.

Oh, Terry, No! Crying or Very sad

Celebrating advances in hard-won civil rights for African-Americans, especially those won by Martin Luther King, Jr. whose most famous speech was about equality, peace, and love does NOT promote racial divides!

This day and age, it is all about whether you can get away with promoting racial divide or hatred. For people like Ray Nagin, all you need to do to get a free pass from the media is to offer some cheap apologies. So he did. But there were no excuses for him to say what he said. He probably forgot people of all races had given donations, provided free housings, offered jobs to those impacted by the hurricane.

Quote:
It's time for us to rebuild a New Orleans, the one that should be a chocolate New Orleans. And I don't care what people are saying in Uptown or wherever they are. This city will be chocolate at the end of the day. This city will be a majority African-American city. It's the way God wants it to be. You can't have it no other way. -- Ray Nagin, MLK day, 2006

OK, so that's an unfortunate quote, but it doesn't really have anything to do with MLK, Jr.

This is a day to celebrate how far we've come and acknowlege how far we have to go in achieving equality for all Americans, regardless of sex, race, or sexual orientation.

Let's keep it positive. Smile

But Dora, isn't turning a blind eye to quotes like Nagin's an example of action that's NOT helpful in promoting MLK Jr's dream? His is hardly a statement that would line up with the color-blind society King Jr. envisioned, which inspires liberals and conservatives alike.

But Dora, isn't turning a blind eye to quotes like Nagin's an example of action that's NOT helpful in promoting MLK Jr's dream? .

I wouldn't say a blind eye was turned to that quote. It was all over the news, the talk shows, the comedy shows, etc. I think he later apologized too. So equating it with MLK day isn't exactly helpful or genuine.

I wouldn't say a blind eye was turned to that quote. It was all over the news, the talk shows, the comedy shows, etc. I think he later apologized too. So equating it with MLK day isn't exactly helpful or genuine.

How is Terry bringing this up "equating it" to MLK day? Nagin said this a year ago, on MLK day... So I think it's relevant.

I would agree that Nagin's shameless pandering to racists and paranoia is disgusting, and deserves discussion, in perhaps another thread. MLK isn't the first great leader to have people hijack his movement and use it to their own selfish purposes, as Nagin, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, and others have. I'm sure MLK would be ashamed of them, and use his strong voice to lead the discussion back to constructive and beneficial thoughts and actions.

dorajar wrote:

How is Terry bringing this up "equating it" to MLK day? Nagin said this a year ago, on MLK day... So I think it's relevant.

Sigh.

This is what I was responding to:

"this is a day for those like Ray Nagin to advance their agenda and promote the racial divide."

I was saying no, I don't think that's what this day is for. That's all.

Smile

She was playing yoga lady that day anyway, and admitted herself, that she didn't "do much reflecting on MLK"

Hmmph.

Doras Idea of reflecting on civil rights is having her nails done by a negro.

OK db, that was a bit uncalled for...I was just challenging dora...

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1