Minneapolis Finder Forum MN
RegisterSearchTutorialsMemberlistLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Tim "Punky" Brewster hired as Gophers FB coach
Post Tim "Punky" Brewster hired as Gophers FB coach 
If what ESPN.com is reporting is true, heads need to roll at the University of Minnesota. Like, now. Starting with U of M athletic director Joel Maturi. Because according to a report by ESPN's Joe Schad, the Gophers AD just blew his first huge hire.

This may prove false - according to local media, the U of M denies that anyone has been hired yet. But if the ESPN report is accurate, Denver Broncos tight end coach Tim Brewster will be the next Golden Gophers head football coach.

WHAT?

The main problem with hiring Brewster is that the man's never been a head coach at the college or the pro level. Never! Not once! He's ALWAYS been a position coach. Pretty much always a tight end coach!

Now, if Brewster were the best guy interested in the position, I'd have no problem with this, but it's very clear he's not. Minnesota has had plenty of interest from many coaches that are more experienced and far better fits.

Like Lane Kiffin. Like Gary Barnett. Like Gary Patterson. Like Skip Holtz, Frank Solich and even Craig Bohl! There have been loads of better candidates for the Gophers football job.

And they go with a career tight end coach? Maturi should be fired on the spot for this one!

Last edited by CraigInTwinCities on Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Tim Brewster 
Tim Brewster's credentials include recruiting the players for the U of Texas team that won the national title last year. I agree that this guy seems like a loser from the start. He never coached any team on his own. In the very competitive big ten, how can you hire a coach that has literally no coaching experience as a head coach.

Joel Maturi won't stick around for long. Tim Brewster will become Maturi's problem soon.

Maybe "Punky" Brewster will work out, but when the Gophers had a lot of "home run" candidates interested in the vacancy, why go with a "maybe" guy?

Post ??????? 
Looking back, I don't see how Mike Tice would have been the back-slapping, rah rah guy that college kids want to hear from.

Brewster confuses me. The staff he's assembling sounds first-rate, and clearly they are going to pull out all the stops on recruiting. That's great. But I'm nervous about his rhetoric. He seems to deliver the same canned "sky's the limit" speech to everybody. If I hear him say one more time that he loves the U (of Minnesota, right?), that they're going to win the Big 10, or even one more teensy mention about the Gopher Nation, I think I'm going to puke. He may be a good coach, and a good recruiter.

But I instinctively distrust this guy...Every time he talks, I check for a strange hand in my pants...

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1