Minneapolis Finder Forum MN
RegisterSearchTutorialsMemberlistLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
XM Radio
Post XM Radio 

Getting ready to take a long road trip tomorrow. Anyone have experience with out-of-the-box XM radio systems that plug in to the cigarette lighter, and thoughts on whether it would perform well enough for me to pick one up tonight? Best Buy has them for about $60, but the reviews are quite mixed.

I never used one, does it come with a free month of service? It may be worth it on that basis alone, if so. Worst case you can dump it on craigslist or ebay when the month is over.

What model are you considering and how does it make the sound go through your car's stereo? Does your car have an AUX/iPod jack on it? I haven't had great luck with those FM transmitter gadgets.

According to what I read on the reviews, it gives 5 days of free service to sample. After that it's about $13 mo for basic XM. The models I was looking at were at Best Buy, and they plug straight into the cig lighter and then tune into a vacant frequency on your FM dial. From what I understand, a plug in to the adaptor is better, not sure if I have one on my 2007 Honda. I figured for $60 it was a cheap experiment. I think I'd prefer the model you can dock in the house. Don't do enough driving to justify paying the monthly just to listen in the car.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/XM+-+OnyX+Satellite+Radio+Receiver+with+Vehicle+Kit/9530215.p?id=1218119753793&skuId=9530215

Post Reality 

A little irked. I went to Best Buy and asked a sales guy about the XM unit. He agreed that essentially all I had to do was plug it in my power outlet and go.

Not so. When I got it home, I learned that I had to rig up an external antenna through my windshield trim and mount a bracket on my air conditioning vents, THEN plug in the unit to the power outlet. Suffice to say I didn't bother, and will be making an appointment to have it installed rather than butcher the job in a cold garage.

Sounds like a lot of trouble for something you're not certain you even want.

On principal alone, I'd return the best buy one and spend the money somewhere else. Ultimate Electronics, perhaps? Not sure who else would sell and install such a thing.

Good luck.

Called Best Buy today (not the same store I bought the unit from). Bottom line is that I'm probably looking at a $150-160 install including parts. They recommend a custom mounting bracket from a company called Pro Fit in Eagan rather than using the included plastic contraption that the mfgr suggests you use to hook in to your A/C vents (a pretty flakey concept, IMHO).

I'll probably bite the bullet and do it.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1