Minneapolis Finder Forum MN
RegisterSearchTutorialsMemberlistLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Dora's nightmare? Hope not!
Post Dora's nightmare? Hope not! 
Dora,

Just wanted to let you know that we might cross paths someday.

See, you've said you're involved in the Twin Cities theater scene.

Well, I may be, soon. I have a friend on the Guthrie and have been encouraged to write up some plays and submit them.

Gee, can you imagine... I wrote a play, it gets accepted, and you work on it?

We're potential collaborators! Wink

I can see the headlines now " Brokeback mountain 2 " Starring craig the girlieman karoke singer

I can see the headlines now " Brokeback mountain 2 " Starring craig the girlieman karoke singer

Responses like that are why no one - even potential political allies - pay attention to you at all on these boards anymore.

Post Re: Dora's nightmare? Hope not! 
CraigInTwinCities wrote:
Dora,

Just wanted to let you know that we might cross paths someday.

See, you've said you're involved in the Twin Cities theater scene.

Well, I may be, soon. I have a friend on the Guthrie and have been encouraged to write up some plays and submit them.

Gee, can you imagine... I wrote a play, it gets accepted, and you work on it?

We're potential collaborators! Wink

Not my worst nightmare at ALL, Craig! Laughing However, I don't think I'll be working at the Guthrie any time soon, for a long list of reasons most of the people on this board wouldn't be very interested in (having to do with politics of the local theater scene, the management and processes of the Guthrie, artistic differences, etc.) Suffice it to say I'm usually more interested in more grassroots, accessible theater than that the Guthrie offers (i.e. performing for Edina Moms not being my #1 goal in theater), besides which, having opted to get my degree in Linguistics from the U of Kansas instead of going through their BFA theater program at the U of M, I don't expect them to come knocking on my door any time soon.

But best of luck with your theatrical endeavors, Craig! Maybe if you keep at it, we WILL get to collaborate some day! Very Happy

Post Re: Dora's nightmare? Hope not! 
dorajar wrote:
Not my worst nightmare at ALL, Craig! Laughing However, I don't think I'll be working at the Guthrie any time soon, for a long list of reasons most of the people on this board wouldn't be very interested in (having to do with politics of the local theater scene, the management and processes of the Guthrie, artistic differences, etc.) Suffice it to say I'm usually more interested in more grassroots, accessible theater than that the Guthrie offers (i.e. performing for Edina Moms not being my #1 goal in theater), besides which, having opted to get my degree in Linguistics from the U of Kansas instead of going through their BFA theater program at the U of M, I don't expect them to come knocking on my door any time soon.

But best of luck with your theatrical endeavors, Craig! Maybe if you keep at it, we WILL get to collaborate some day! Very Happy

Personally, any time I can get produced, I don't mind who the audience is, LOL. Heck, I've written skits for church-based singles groups! I'm not that picky.

I've been kicking around an idea for a play in my head, but can't seem to solidify the actual story for it. So it's more of a concept right now, about a play focusing on a group of guys (and the women in their lives) who get together once a year for a big fishing tournament on Lake Minnetonka, and how their lives change over time.

The basic concept began as an older married couple, a newly married couple and a dating couple being the core cast members. Then I started playing with the idea of getting some racial and religious diversity to the cast and it got all muddled in the "second guessing" I was doing on that front.

Now I'm thinking the best way to get started is to go with a different idea entirely and forget the Lake Minnetonka fishing play....

Ah, gotta love the creative process. Very Happy

You know, if you're looking to develop as a playwright, whether that be working one one particular concept or idea or just get some general practice and proficiency, the Playwright's Center is a FABULOUS local resource. I took a class there myself a couple years ago and loved it. Great for playwrights at all levels.

Good luck!

Never heard of it, but I don't have money for classes right now... Busy with my messianic rabbi training! Sad

Sounds like fun, though. I miss my masters-level writing classes under Terry Davis in Mankato...

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1