Minneapolis Finder Forum MN
RegisterSearchTutorialsMemberlistLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
And the nominees are...
Post And the nominees are... 
List of 79th annual Academy Award nominations
http://www.startribune.com/1553/story/954118.html

2006 filled actor's career with 3 of a (different) kind
Complete list of the 79th Annual Academy Award nominations announced Tuesday at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences in Beverly Hills, Calif.:

1. Best Picture: "Babel,'' "The Departed,'' "Letters From Iwo Jima,'' "Little Miss Sunshine,'' "The Queen.''

2. Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio, "Blood Diamond''; Ryan Gosling, "Half Nelson''; Peter O'Toole, "Venus''; Will Smith, "The Pursuit of Happyness''; Forest Whitaker, "The Last King of Scotland.''

3. Actress: Penelope Cruz, "Volver''; Judi Dench, "Notes on a Scandal''; Helen Mirren, "The Queen''; Meryl Streep, "The Devil Wears Prada''; Kate Winslet, "Little Children.''

4. Supporting Actor: Alan Arkin, "Little Miss Sunshine''; Jackie Earle Haley, "Little Children''; Djimon Hounsou, "Blood Diamond''; Eddie Murphy, "Dreamgirls''; Mark Wahlberg, "The Departed.''

5. Supporting Actress: Adriana Barraza, "Babel''; Cate Blanchett, "Notes on a Scandal''; Abigail Breslin, "Little Miss Sunshine''; Jennifer Hudson, "Dreamgirls''; Rinko Kikuchi, "Babel.''

6. Directing: Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, "Babel''; Martin Scorsese, "The Departed''; Clint Eastwood, "Letters From Iwo Jima''; Stephen Frears, "The Queen''; Paul Greengrass, "United 93.''

7. Foreign Language Film: "After the Wedding,'' Denmark; "Days of Glory (Indigenes),'' Algeria; "The Lives of Others,'' Germany; "Pan's Labyrinth,'' Mexico; "Water,'' Canada.

8. Adapted Screenplay: Sacha Baron Cohen and Anthony Hines and Peter Baynham and Dan Mazer and Todd Phillips, "Borat Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan''; Alfonso Cuaron and Timothy J. Sexton and David Arata and Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby, "Children of Men''; William Monahan, "The Departed''; Todd Field and Tom Perrotta, "Little Children''; Patrick Marber, "Notes on a Scandal.''

9. Original Screenplay: Guillermo Arriaga, "Babel''; Iris Yamashita and Paul Haggis, "Letters From Iwo Jima''; Michael Arndt, "Little Miss Sunshine''; Guillermo del Toro, "Pan's Labyrinth''; Peter Morgan, "The Queen.''

10. Animated Feature Film: "Cars,'' "Happy Feet,'' "Monster House.''

11. Art Direction: "Dreamgirls,'' "The Good Shepherd,'' "Pan's Labyrinth,'' "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest,'' "The Prestige.''

12. Cinematography: "The Black Dahlia,'' "Children of Men,'' "The Illusionist,'' "Pan's Labyrinth,'' "The Prestige.''

13. Sound Mixing: "Apocalypto,'' "Blood Diamond,'' "Dreamgirls,'' "Flags of Our Fathers,'' "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest.''

14. Sound Editing: "Apocalypto,'' "Blood Diamond,'' "Flags of Our Fathers,'' "Letters From Iwo Jima,'' "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest.''

15. Original Score: "Babel,'' Gustavo Santaolalla; "The Good German,'' Thomas Newman; "Notes on a Scandal,'' Philip Glass; "Pan's Labyrinth,'' Javier Navarrete; "The Queen,'' Alexandre Desplat.

16. Original Song: "I Need to Wake Up'' from "An Inconvenient Truth,'' Melissa Etheridge; "Listen'' from "Dreamgirls,'' Henry Krieger, Scott Cutler and Anne Preven; "Love You I Do'' from "Dreamgirls,'' Henry Krieger and Siedah Garrett; "Our Town'' from "Cars,'' Randy Newman; "Patience'' from "Dreamgirls,'' Henry Krieger and Willie Reale.

17. Costume: "Curse of the Golden Flower,'' "The Devil Wears Prada,'' "Dreamgirls,'' "Marie Antoinette,'' "The Queen.''

18. Documentary Feature: "Deliver Us From Evil,'' "An Inconvenient Truth,'' "Iraq in Fragments,'' "Jesus Camp,'' "My Country, My Country.''

19. Documentary (short subject): "The Blood of Yingzhou District,'' "Recycled Life,'' "Rehearsing a Dream,'' "Two Hands.''

20. Film Editing: "Babel,'' "Blood Diamond,'' "Children of Men,'' "The Departed,'' "United 93.''

21. Makeup: "Apocalypto,'' "Click,'' "Pan's Labyrinth.''

22. Animated Short Film: "The Danish Poet,'' "Lifted,'' "The Little Matchgirl,'' "Maestro,'' "No Time for Nuts.''

23. Live Action Short Film: "Binta and the Great Idea (Binta Y La Gran Idea),'' "Eramos Pocos (One Too Many),'' "Helmer & Son,'' "The Saviour,'' "West Bank Story.''

24. Visual Effects: "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest,'' "Poseidon,'' "Superman Returns.''

Academy Award winners previously announced this year:

HONORARY AWARD (Oscar statuette): Ennio Morricone

JEAN HERSHOLT HUMANITARIAN AWARD (Oscar statuette): Sherry Lansing

Post Martin Scorsese 
I'd love to see Martin Scorsese finally gets a well-deserved Oscar for "The Departed''. "The Departed" isn't a great movie, but given all the great movies Scorsese has directed, he certainly deserves the highest honor.

Mark Wahlberg definitely should win the honor for his role in "The Departed." After watching the movie, I have to say that I was most impressed by his role than anyone else's.

I've only seen two of the Best Pic nominees so far (Babel and Little Miss Sunshine), and while I loved them both, my vote would go to Babel. What an amazing film.

With the exception of BORAT, which didn't even get a Best Picture nomination, I really see nothing in this set of nominations worth even caring about "who wins."

You know, it's strange...Absolutely NONE of the actors and actresses nominated for best actors and actresses were in any of the films nominated for best picture this year.

How can none of the best picture nominees have even ONE best actor/actress nominee in them, and still be considered a best picture? How can all of the best actor/actress nominees be considered best, when none of them were in films nominated for best picture? It's a complete disconnect. I mean, Will Smith is a darn good actor, but is The Pursuit of Happyness his best work? Heck, it didn't even come in sixth for best-picture nominee. And Meryl Streep for her Glenn Close/101 Dalmatians ripoff performance in Devil Wears Prada? Please...

Sure, sometimes you'll find stuff like this as the exception, but this year it's exceptions across the board. And largely, I think it's because it was a bad year in film.

If they had Billy Crystal hosting, I'd tune in for the first 20 minutes for his monologue, but since I understand he's NOT hosting, I won't even be doing that.

Go, Sascha Baron Cohen! (The only nominee I care about even a little bit... he did the most daring thing of any "best actor" ... to embody his character and BECOME him in the real world, among real folks not in on the joke, in a completely unpredictable environment... and he didn't get nominated for it? Just the "adapted screenplay"? Adapted from WHAT? Ridiculous.)

Well, Craig, like I said, I've only seen two of the Best Pic nominees. But in both cases, they're really ensemble films. Neither Babel nor Little Miss Sunshine really has one main protaganist that is the focus of the story (hence the multiple "supporting actor/actress" nominations in both cases)...

Oh, and in taking a 2nd look, Helen Mirren is up for The Queen (Best Actress), which is also up for Best Pic.

Oh, and in taking a 2nd look, Helen Mirren is up for The Queen (Best Actress), which is also up for Best Pic.

I stand corrected. Thanks. But to have only one of 10 actors/actresses nominated appearing in a "best film" nominee is really shocking.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1