Minneapolis Finder Forum MN
RegisterSearchTutorialsMemberlistLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
National Anthem Disrespect
Post National Anthem Disrespect 
Why do sports even organizers insist on hiring the innappropriate, or just plain awful folks to sing our National Anthem? I was watching the NHL Allstar Game last night. The lady singing the Canadian national anthem was horrific. The Wreckers who sang the US national Anthem were only slightly better.

Why do we disrespect our nation with this ridiculous desire to hire the "in" performer or group?

Funny you should mention that, LadyM. I attended a high school basketball game the other night. Instead of the recorded instrumental anthem that they have often used, the school chose to have one of their students sing the song. It was not perfect, but pretty darn good. It was a very different feeling to be pulling for this nervous young person as they performed. At that moment, I truly felt more patriotic, and that I was listening to a song of the American people. Maybe that is the approach we need to return to. Let normal people sing the song, flaws and all, rather than make it a showcase for professionals- or clowns like Roseanne Barr that mock it.

That was just my problem with the singers last night. The lady singing the Canadian national anthem was either a well off local with connections, or some type of minor celebrity. The Wreckers are country music professionals.

I'd rather hear a student, a choir, a local opera member or someone who will sing it with the respect it deserves than someone out to showcase their "talent".

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1