Minneapolis Finder Forum MN
RegisterSearchTutorialsMemberlistLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Obama Announces Afghan Drawdown
Post Obama Announces Afghan Drawdown 

http://www.twincities.com/ci_18333134

President Obama says he will return 30,000 US troops home from Afghanistan next summer.

This seems emblematic of how this administration operates. When decisive action is needed, the decisions and actions are put off until they will not impact the reelection efforts of BO, or the consequences will not land until his second term is already assured. On this and several other fronts, his actions have not matched his campaign rhetoric at all.

Unfortunate. As David Brooks so rightly noted recently, neither party is acting responsibly. The Republicans are strident, uncompromising, and allowing their most extreme elements to suck the energy out of their efforts. The Dems are ignoring the major issues of the day and engaging in tentative and irrelevant "deck chair rearranging" rather than commit themselves to painful and unpopular actions that need to be taken.

At this point, they're both losers in my book.

Post Re: Obama Announces Afghan Drawdown 

I'm pretty sure this sort of asshattery can be found in any administration. I guess the easy example that comes to mind is W and his handling of the hurricanes in Florida vs the hurricane in Louisiana. Quite the change in response time. Not that this absolves BO of his stunning display of what I've come to call mediocracy. But I'm pretty sure this type of asshattery is a problem inherent to a relatively short term vs the shit that needs to be done vs having to maintain a positive public face.

Also the two term limit is pretty stupid.

If you're referring to Katrina, the evidence suggests that the vast majority of the ineptitude there was on the local level, including a refusal from the governor for initial offers of aid and the failure to use ample local resources by the drain bamaged mayor of New Orleans, Nagin- despite several days notice of the impending disaster. The fact that a large proportion of the population there had been conditioned for generations to rely on government to take care of every issue in their lives didn't help either. Compare the conduct of the citizens there to events in Joplin, MO or floods in the Red River Valley. People in those communities actually pitched in and got things done.

I would agree that it's pretty typical behavior of politicians to only support measures that will have positive results within the current term being served, and pain/costs that will only land after the pol has left office.

Unfortunately, with issues like the national debt, Social Security, Medicare/Medicaid, etc, the can has been kicked down the road as far as it can be, and if action is not taken soon, they will collapse of their own weight and set off a new series of financial disasters.

thrice wrote:
If you're referring to Katrina, the evidence suggests that the vast majority of the ineptitude there was on the local level, including a refusal from the governor for initial offers of aid and the failure to use ample local resources by the drain bamaged mayor of New Orleans, Nagin- despite several days notice of the impending disaster. The fact that a large proportion of the population there had been conditioned for generations to rely on government to take care of every issue in their lives didn't help either. Compare the conduct of the citizens there to events in Joplin, MO or floods in the Red River Valley. People in those communities actually pitched in and got things done.

Certainly all of the blame does not lay with W, but that doesn't change the fact that there was a very clear difference between how Florida was handled and how Louisiana was handled.

Quote:
I would agree that it's pretty typical behavior of politicians to only support measures that will have positive results within the current term being served, and pain/costs that will only land after the pol has left office.

Unfortunately, with issues like the national debt, Social Security, Medicare/Medicaid, etc, the can has been kicked down the road as far as it can be, and if action is not taken soon, they will collapse of their own weight and set off a new series of financial disasters.

Agree. Can't wait for those.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1