Minneapolis Finder Forum MN
RegisterSearchTutorialsMemberlistLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Which Theaters in Twin Cities You Like or Don't Like?
Post Which Theaters in Twin Cities You Like or Don't Like? 
It seems like the Orpheum Theater is the place for all the good shows and plays. But I really can't say I enjoy going there. Been there once for the "Riverdance" show. The Riverdance show has a small band playing live on the stage. The stage was so tiny that band alone took up nearly 1/3 of the stage space. During the show, the dancers sometimes almost bumped into each other. The sound level in the theater was absolutely terrible. The music was played very loud and I could almost hear an echo. There is very little leg room for each seat - not that I have a big fat ass and need extra space. It was just so uncomfortable.

One theater I do like is the Jungle Theater at Lyndale and 29th near Uptown. It is a small intimate theater. It can probably accomodate only 150 audiences. You can see the actors/actresses up and close. I saw the play "Betrayal" there and it was a very enjoyable experienece.

Terry

I kind of like the small intimate setting of the Bryant Lake Bowl, myself.

But seriously, the Chanhassen Dinner Theatre, the largest of its kind in the nation is great, but in bad need of an upgrade/update. The carpeting, seats and cushions in theatres, and nearly all the decorative things are just old and in need of modernizing. The sound systems are old, the roof is leaking, mold is growing in more places than you would think. It is sad to see such good performances at such a sub-par venue. There is talk of a move in a couple years to Burnsville, Bloomington or? I am highly in favor of a new building.

I love:

The Jungle
The Jeune Lune
Mixed Blood
Starting Gate (they operate out of the Mounds Theater in St. Paul)
Theater in the Round
The Loading Dock Theater (St. Paul)
Bryant-Lake Bowl
The Southern
The Illusion
Intermedia Arts
The Penumbra
The Red Eye
Theater Garage

I don't much care for:

The Chanhassen Dinner Theater (chuck-e cheese for adults, in my opinion)
The Guthrie (When was the last time they did something interesting??)

The Pantages occasionally has some good stuff going on (Hair, Sylvia), but for the most part it seems that the big theaters on Hennepin (The State, the Orpheum, Pantages, Hennepin Stages) are used mostly for big touring shows or concerts. That's fine, but I'm usually more interested in the more vibrant local art scene that's happening in the smaller nooks and crannies...

What exactly does Chuck E.Cheese for adults mean? A "playland" for adults, immature, what?
You are entitled to whatever, I am just curious, I don't get the analogy. They are very professsional over there, the actors anyway.

Chuck E. Cheese for adults. That is rich.

I haven't been to the dinner theater but somehow I'll bet this is a very apt analogy.

Theater is such a high art form and yet, when it comes off badly or unprofessionally, it is so bad.

Dorajar

What exactly does Chuck E.Cheese for adults mean? A "playland" for adults, immature, what?
You are entitled to whatever, I am just curious, I don't get the analogy. They are very professsional over there, the actors anyway.

Hey bbusch1!

First of all, it's definitely not my intention to dissuade anyone from seeing whatever form of theater floats their boat. As an actor myself, I wish everyone would substitute one play (anywhere) for just one movie or tv show they watch per month. And I personally know quite a few actors who have worked (or dream of working) at the Chan Dinner Theater. They pay and treat their actors well, and that's great. Anything that will allow an actor to support him/herself by their art, instead of waiting tables, is a good thing.

However, the Chan just isn't my cup of tea artistically speaking. I'm personally more interested in edgy, bold, creative new works, as opposed to the same barrage of old Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals we've been seeing for decades. I understand that they employ talented actors, and a lot of people really enjoy this form of entertainment. That's great. I snarkily call it "chuck-e cheese for adults" because it seems stale to me. Mechanical. Done, old, tired. Not challenging or thought-provoking or enlightening in any way. That's my snotty "artistic" take on it. That said, singing and dancing are not my strong suits, and if they were, I might find more to admire or look up to in the work they produce.

So, by all means, if you enjoy the Chan, more power to you. I'd just humbly throw out my suggestion that you try something a little farther out of your comfort zone too at some point.

Yay theater! Very Happy

Point taken. I can see how it can include mechanical, methodologies of textbook theater and not bold, innovative theater. It is impressive however, when Rodgers and Hammerstein, called Chanhassen to ask them for help on a production. I mean, R and H are legendary, and they asked Chan for help to complete a show. This will be the first-ever production called Easter Parade set to open Feb 9. 2007.

I'm all about Brave New Workshop.

Yep, they're good stuff. I was in a show there this summer!

Yep, they're good stuff. I was in a show there this summer!

What show? I may have teched it.

Blackbeard, for Instance. The one in July. (I couldn't do the remount in August 'cause I had Fringe conflicts). It was part of the Summer Series...

Okay, okay. I'm Mike, I was the tech for the show. Hello.

Okay, okay. I'm Mike, I was the tech for the show. Hello.

Hi!!!

(I'm Mo. I played Jacqueline. The crazy one in the black dress.)

Between us, the show wasn't the same after you left. No one could be a crazy person like you. Not even Molly.

Between us, the show wasn't the same after you left. No one could be a crazy person like you. Not even Molly.

Oooooh, I was curious about how the remount went...

I had a feeling it might be...different. Embarassed

Well, thanks for the kind words! Very Happy

Yeah, it sure was different.

And if by different, you mean "not as good," you got it.

I saw an acrobatics show at the Old Arizona Theater (2821 Nicollet Avenue) the past spring. I drove past that place millions times before, but never thought it was a theater. I thought it was a tea house or something. In fact, they do have a tea house inside the theater. The theater is small but intimate.

The show was by Wicked Sister Dance Theatre. They have great stuff:

http://www.wickedsisterdance.org

Post Old Arizona 
A friend of mine just became the resident theatre company of the Old Arizona and (here's the shameless plug) you should all go see everything they do and then tip in $20s....

Post Re: Old Arizona 
michaeljames wrote:
A friend of mine just became the resident theatre company of the Old Arizona and (here's the shameless plug) you should all go see everything they do and then tip in $20s....

What's the company, Mike?

http://www.urbansamuraipro.com/index.html [/url]

Awesome. Best of luck to them! Very Happy

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1