Minneapolis Finder Forum MN
RegisterSearchTutorialsMemberlistLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Not ADD, but DDD
Post Not ADD, but DDD 
Katherine Kersten brought a problem into clear focus in her column in the Star Tribune today.
It's a problem plaguing our well off suburbs as well as inner city neighborhoods. No health care mandates, school lunch regulations or increased political clout by one party or another will solve it, either. And, IMHO, it is not limited to children, but plagues adults as well.

Kersten devoted her column to DDD or Discipline Deficit Disorder. Now many my age have long grumbled about this, but it's nice to see it in print. Kids too often are "high spirited", or "active" or "testing boundaries". In reality, they are being brats because no one has ever told them NO with any regularity. No one has taught them that misbehavior has predictable and sometimes serious consequences.

My question is this: Do you know any examples of this disorder? Do tell.

To read the column in the Star Tribune go to http://www.startribune.com/191/story/973103.html

Post No News Flash There 
Funny you should mention that, LadyM. I will probably start a rant about a similar theme soon. I repeat the link below about the 20 year old killing his unborn child by beating his pregnant girlfriend.

http://www.startribune.com/467/story/969821.html

We have long moaned about the pathologies of life in the inner city. Why people engage in self destructive behaviors because they have no hope, and no longer care. Now we are seeing the same ridiculous self fulfilling prophecies of irresponsible behavior and lasting punishment being played out in the suburbs, the middle class, and above.

How is it that the daughter of an attorney, who lived in a nice neighorhood and attended a safe and good high school, now finds herself a mother of an illegitimate child conceived at 16 with another one on the way at 18? How do we find this same young woman couch hopping with the 20 year old father of same, after a comfortable middle class upbringing? She has no excuses of poverty, ignorance, desperation, or discrimination to fall back on. Only she, and the people who raised her, know why she chose to make babies with the sociopathic thug that beat her senseless and killed her baby, laughing and mugging for the cameras all the way. Does anyone seriously think that this was the first time this scumbag smacked her around? Only they know what bankruptcy of spirit has caused her to abandon all of the blessings and advantages of her birth and live the life of a trailer court welfare momma.

I suspect that the answers lie in Kersten's column, and other chronicles of the self indulgent, amoral nation we are becoming. We need look no farther than negligent, self absorbed breeders posing as parents, who blame society for the results of their own lack of interest in their offspring.

How is it that the daughter of an attorney, who lived in a nice neighorhood and attended a safe and good high school, now finds herself a mother of an illegitimate child conceived at 16 with another one on the way at 18? How do we find this same young woman couch hopping with the 20 year old father of same, after a comfortable middle class upbringing? She has no excuses of poverty, ignorance, desperation, or discrimination to fall back on. Only she, and the people who raised her, know why she chose to make babies with the sociopathic thug that beat her senseless and killed her baby, laughing and mugging for the cameras all the way. Does anyone seriously think that this was the first time this scumbag smacked her around? Only they know what bankruptcy of spirit has caused her to abandon all of the blessings and advantages of her birth and live the life of a trailer court welfare momma.

I suspect that the answers lie in Kersten's column, and other chronicles of the self indulgent, amoral nation we are becoming.

I suspect it was the Bad Boy phenomenon, a hunger for excitement, not a "bankruptcy of spirit," that led to the girl hooking up with the loser.

Quote:
We need look no farther than negligent, self absorbed breeders posing as parents, who blame society for the results of their own lack of interest in their offspring.

The Conservative Credo -- "We Need Look No Farther. . ."

Post DDD not just a conservative issue 
Odin:
I am NOT conservative for the most part. I do believe, however, that too many parents have children because they feel they should, or because they want a baby, and then lose interest in caring for, spending time with, and teaching said children. They also do not discipline for fear of emotionally scarring their child by saying "no". Instead they handicap them into thinking that the world revolves around and caters to their every whim.

Yes, some folks figure the return to "family values" will solve all, but in fact, teaching children to live in the real world will help them just as much, if not more. Kids need to learn that the world truly does not care. It's not out to get you, but it's not there to coddle you either.

I am NOT conservative for the most part. I do believe, however, that too many parents have children because they feel they should, or because they want a baby, and then lose interest in caring for, spending time with, and teaching said children. They also do not discipline for fear of emotionally scarring their child by saying "no". Instead they handicap them into thinking that the world revolves around and caters to their every whim.

In my experience the parents who lose interest in their children aren't the same parents who cater. Obviously, both parenting pathologies cause problems.

One problem with the excerpts I answered was the leap from general to specific. It's one thing to generally say many parents are lacking, but to single out one victimized woman and her parents as examples and then publicly disparage them puts the burden of proof on the disparager to know what he or she is talking about. I don't see that burden of proof being met.

It's one thing to say many companies illegally pollute, but if you're gonna name one specific company as illegally polluting, you're obliged to have credible supporting evidence.

Quote:
Yes, some folks figure the return to "family values" will solve all, but in fact, teaching children to live in the real world will help them just as much, if not more. Kids need to learn that the world truly does not care. It's not out to get you, but it's not there to coddle you either.

Couldn't disagree more. Kids should learn the world does care about them and those of us
who care should show them by acting constructively in what we believe to be their best interests, whether that entails pre-K social programs or just smiling when a little kid looks up at us. (They almost always smile back.)

As for DDD, Hesiod had something to say about it in 400 BC. Other than the too-cute acronym, what's changed?

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1