Minneapolis Finder Forum MN
RegisterSearchTutorialsMemberlistLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Mistakes
Post Mistakes 
Have you made any mistakes lately?

I seem to be having a week full of them!

I think we all have weeks like that, Dora. Smile Best thing to do is forgive yourself and move on, try not to repeat the same mistakes over and over again.

(Though we all do even that from time to time, don't we?)

Post Who doesn't!? 
A friend of mine once said, "I am not afraid of making mistakes. That is why I have 3 kids." Laughing

Post Mistakes 
I remember a story from a teacher I once had...he played the cello and was attending a special camp for gifted musicians. He settled in to practice but heard someone in the next room slaughtering a piece of music and instead my teacher said he started playing the pieces he knew best. After an hour, both musicians stepped out of their rooms and my teacher grinned at the other kid...saying something like "That was a good practice!". The other boy looked back and told him he'd not heard a single mistake from the other room and it seemed like a wasted practice session since only through mistakes do we improve.

The man telling this story then told us the "other musician" had lost a scholarship to Julliard after an accident that made it impossible for him to play right handed. He'd been teaching himself to play all over again using his left hand.

The other boy looked back and told him he'd not heard a single mistake from the other room and it seemed like a wasted practice session since only through mistakes do we improve.

As a semi-athlete, I'd say the other boy is talking out of his rear. Know anything about muscle memory? How is it improved by making mistakes?

If we do not try new things, stretch beyond the boundaries of what we have already mastered, we do not improve overall. Does that make sense?

If we do not try new things, stretch beyond the boundaries of what we have already mastered, we do not improve overall. Does that make sense?

Sure, but is making mistakes the "only" way to improve?

Consider the hoops player working on his free throws. He improves by eliminating mistakes, not making them. Every time he makes a mistake in form, it detracts from muscle memory and lessens his chances of success.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1