Minneapolis Finder Forum MN
RegisterSearchTutorialsMemberlistLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Iowa Diocese Bankrupted Over Sex Abuse Claims
Post Iowa Diocese Bankrupted Over Sex Abuse Claims 
http://www.startribune.com/614/story/991904.html

In one of the more dramatic developments concerning sex abuse suits against churches, the Catholic Diocese of Davenport, IA has declared bankruptcy and its assets are to be sold.

It's a rather shocking development, but perhaps that punctuates the cost of centuries of churches covering up and denying sexual misconduct by its ministers. Some might argue that the Catholic Church needs to reconsider its stance on vows of chastity, and allow the ordination of married people in order to attract a pool of clerical applicants that represent a normal spectrum of humanity. Restricting ordination to single people, regardless of orientation, virtually guarantees a disporportionate number of clergy suffering from a variety of maladjusted backgrounds. Maybe they will wake up and smell the coffee sometime this century. The Church has always taught that confession is the first step on the road to salvation, and will now have an opportunity to prove it.

Being a fellow who once lived on the Minnesota side of the MN-Iowa border... I can't resist a few jabs at Iowa...

IOWA = Idiots On Wheels Ahead

"Iowa... Where men are men... and the sheep are scared!"

AIDS = Another Iowan Discovers Sex

Equal time for Minnesota, because I LOVE this one...

MINNESOTA = May I Never Never Ever Speak Offensively To Anyone

"Iowa... Where men are men... and the sheep are scared!"

AIDS = Another Iowan Discovers Sex

Equal time for Minnesota, because I LOVE this one...

MINNESOTA = May I Never Never Ever Speak Offensively To Anyone

Um, Craig, can I make a suggestion? Do you think maybe you could lay off the "light-hearted jabs"

Let me run down the list of what I've learned from your "light-hearted jabs":

*Iowans have sex with sheep
*Iowans contract AIDS every time they have sex (with a sheep)
*Minnesotans never offend anyone

Oh, and my favorite...

*Nancy Pelosi is an anti-semite

Similar to the folks who I don't allow to say "I have no problems with gay people" after saying they shouldn't have any rights, I can no longer allow you to get away with saying horribly offensive things and then just say, "Oh, it's a light-hearted jab".

From the things you've posted lately, there's nothing light in your heart. Your heart is really full of "hate-speech".

Um, Craig, can I make a suggestion? Do you think maybe you could lay off the "light-hearted jabs" Let me run down the list of what I've learned from your "light-hearted jabs":

*Iowans have sex with sheep
*Iowans contract AIDS every time they have sex (with a sheep)
*Minnesotans never offend anyone

Oh, and my favorite...

*Nancy Pelosi is an anti-semite

Similar to the folks who I don't allow to say "I have no problems with gay people" after saying they shouldn't have any rights, I can no longer allow you to get away with saying horribly offensive things and then just say, "Oh, it's a light-hearted jab".

From the things you've posted lately, there's nothing light in your heart. Your heart is really full of "hate-speech".

NoMN...

Those are all VAST misinterpretations of those postings.

I never even IMPLIED that Pelosi was an anti-semite in that other posting; way off base there.

As for the other things from this thread... I didn't invent the jokes, I was just sharing them. They are jokes that are told often from as far north as Mankato (my college alma matter) down to the MN-IA border.

Of course, here in the Twin Cities, MN-WI jokes are more the norm.

The first two you mentioned are shots at IOWA, nothing more. It's no different than when KFAN talks about all cheeseheads drinking turpentine--implying WI is full of disparate alcoholics. No one takes it seriously.

As for the MINNESOTA thing, I'm shocked you took it literally. It's an ironic joke created to point out Minnesota's efforts to project an image of political correctness... which we all know is horse-hockey... even your user name acknowledges THAT, my friend! Smile

I really do think that while none of these jokes were "pure vaudeville gold" or anything, they need to be read as jokes, especially when labeled as such.

Asserting that I am some hate-monger with a heart full of hate speech for repeating them is a bit overreaching, NoMN. You should know me better than that by now.

Frankly, as someone born and raised in Iowa, I don't care if it's a joke or not. I find it inappropriate to joke about having sex with sheep.

I guess my sense of humor is just different than yours, Craig. I don't find the need to repeat something offensive just because someone else told me it was funny.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1