Minneapolis Finder Forum MN
RegisterSearchTutorialsMemberlistLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Burlesque History in MPLS
Post Burlesque History in MPLS 
There is an interesting exhibit at the Hennepin History Museum about Burlesque shows back in the early 90s in Minneapolis. This form of entertainment was big for many years locally. It became a major attraction to bring folks around the country to Minneapolis. Orpheum was one of the popular places. The exhibit has a lot of old newspaper clips about shows, theaters and dancers. It also has some film footages. Dancers' costumes are on display as well. Top dancers back then made about $2,000 per week.

Too bad this form of entertainment is almost non-existent today. The exhibit gives you a bit of history that few people know about.

Terry

If I recall correctly, there actually was a burlesque company doing work in Minneapolis or St. Paul a few years back. I caught their act opening for Rasputina one night at First Avenue. It was pretty good.

My impression was that burlesque is swinging back into popularity again. There are at least four regularly performing burlesque shows in the twin cities that I am aware of - Lili's, Cirque Rouge, one at the Rainbow Bar in St. Paul, and another one...the name escapes me right now....

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1