Minneapolis Finder Forum MN
RegisterSearchTutorialsMemberlistLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Lent
Post Lent 
Have you ever given anything up for Lent? Do you think there's value in willfully depriving yourself of something you enjoy for 6 weeks? Are you giving anything up this year?

I was raised Catholic and even went to Catholic school for 6 years, and I have never given anything up for Lent. This year I'm going to try it for the first time. I'm going to give up cheese for 6 weeks. I'm not doing it to get closer to Jesus, I'm just doing it because this seems like a convenient and culturally appropriate block of time to try giving up something I've wondered if I could ever do without. But who knows, maybe it's just been cheese standing between me and spiritual enlightenment all along! I'll report back in 6 weeks.

Funny that you should be indulging this curiousity, Dora. It reminds me of something I heard long ago that always stayed with me.

Do you know why little kids like to spin around in circles until they get dizzy?

According to what I heard, it is because it is the first time that they learn that they can deliberately manipulate their level of consciousness and physical perception. Isn't it funny how we spend the rest of our lives playing with our sensory inputs, just to see what will happen?

Laughing Well I'm hoping that the first thing to happen will be that I magically lose 5 pounds.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1