GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn.-- The Loring Kitchen and Bar's Executive Chef Junji Umezu joined us today to share some timely turkey prep tips.
Here's what he mentioned this morning:
* Use fresh ground pepper and dry seasonings, if dry herbs are older than six months, toss and buy new.
* Truss the bird to keep cooking of meat even as to not over cook exposed legs.
* Use aromatic herbs and vegetables as a base the bird sits on while roasting.
* Don't use a turkey at all, instead try using small Cornish game hens. You can serve one per person.
* Brine the bird overnight.
The Loring Kitchen and Bar is located across from Loring Park in Minneapolis. The restaurant is open Thanksgiving Day. For more information or reservations, call 612-843-0400 or visit www.loringkitchen.com.
Loring's Turkey Brine
Water 6 qts
¼ C sugar
¼ C sea or kosher salt
1 oz thyme
1 oz parsley
1 tsp whole black peppercorn
6 bay leaves
Bring to boil.
Loring's Cranberry and Brandy Sauce
Frozen cranberries 3 cups
Orange juice and zest of two oranges
Brandy ¼ cup
Sugar 2 cups
Water 2 cups
Cook on at 250 degrees until cranberries are cooked through 1-1 ½ hours. Chill at least two hours prior to serving.