Minneapolis Finder Forum MN
RegisterSearchTutorialsMemberlistLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Colbert report: pap smears at Walgreens
Post Colbert report: pap smears at Walgreens 
Classic. Colbert can't even keep it together while addressing this one. Republicans apparently think it's fine to cut funding for Planned Parenthood, even though 97% of what they do is provide breast cancer and STD screenings, pap smears, contraceptive services, etc. because "women can get pap smears at Walgreens."

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/381282/april-11-2011/pap-smears-at-walgreens

Also, as I was listening to this, I was going through a user's profile from their hard drive, looking for an archive file. I lol'd again when I came across a Walgreens directory. Smile

Almost 40% of Planned Parenthood's income comes from killing babies so not sure where this "97%" you mention comes from.

All numbers are from the latest (2008) Planned Parenthood annual report:

Annual abortions performed at Planned Parenthood: 305,310
Average cost of abortion: $450 (This is based on what Planned Parenthood across the country has told Live Action staff, although it is slightly higher or lower depending on what part of the country it is.)
Total income from abortions: $137,389,500
Total health center income: $374,700,000
This means that fully 36.7% of Planned Parenthood health center income comes directly from aborting unborn children.

Almost 40% of Planned Parenthood's income comes from killing babies so not sure where this "97%" you mention comes from.

Annual abortions performed at Planned Parenthood: 305,310
Average cost of abortion: $450 (This is based on what Planned Parenthood across the country has told Live Action staff, although it is slightly higher or lower depending on what part of the country it is.)
Total income from abortions: $137,389,500
Total health center income: $374,700,000
This means that fully 36.7% of Planned Parenthood health center income comes directly from aborting unborn children.

False.

http://mediamatters.org/research/201102180003

Quote:
In Fact, Less Than 15% Of Total Revenue Comes From Abortion Services

Contraception, STD Testing And Treatment, Cancer Screening Make Up Vast Majority Of Planned Parenthood Services. Planned Parenthood's 2008-2009 annual report states: "For the three million patients our doctors and nurses saw, we provided contraception (36 percent of our total services), testing and treatment for sexually transmitted infections (31 percent), cancer screening and prevention (17 percent), and abortion services (three percent)." [Planned Parenthood Annual Report 2008-2009, accessed 2/17/11]

Planned Parenthood Receives 15% Of Its Annual Revenue From Abortion Services. According to data from the most recent Planned Parenthood Annual Report:

* Abortion accounted for 3 percent of total services (approximately 328,308 of 10,943,609 services)

* At an average cost of $500, total revenue from abortion services was approximately $164,154,000

* Revenue from abortion services was less than 15 percent of the total annual revenue, which was $1,100,800,000 [Planned Parenthood Annual Report 2008-2009, accessed 2/17/11]

They just don't make annual reports like they used to. Smile

"less than 15 percent of the total annual revenue" is not the way to measure such things.

percent of "Health Center Income" is what you should be measuring - which was 404.9 million for 2008-2009, not the 1.1 billion TOTAL revenue.
(see page 29 of their 2008-2009 report)

but glad to see you agree that they do WAY WAY more than 3% abortion.

but glad to see you agree that they do WAY WAY more than 3% abortion.

I don't agree with that.

Quote:
Abortion accounted for 3 percent of total services (approximately 328,308 of 10,943,609 services)

97% of the services they provide have nothing to do with abortion.

If you want to consider "hand out one condom" the same sort of service as "perform one abortion" that's your perogative.

One is clearly a bigger deal than the other - and the revenue difference is an easy way to show this.

I guess you consider "oyster crackers" to be the primary food item at your local restaurant, since so many of them are served?

If you want to consider "hand out one condom" the same sort of service as "perform one abortion" that's your perogative.

Considering the former can easily prevent the latter, I'd say it's also pretty important. Unless you don't care about abortion as much as you claim to. Then by all means, shut PP down and watch the unwanted pregnancies go through the roof.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1