Minneapolis Finder Forum MN
RegisterSearchTutorialsMemberlistLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Pentagon May Respond Militarily To Hack Attacks
Post Pentagon May Respond Militarily To Hack Attacks 
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/31/pentagon-cyber-attack-act-of-war_n_869014.html

Pentagon officials have declared that cyberattacks which target infrastructure or have the potential to cause harm to US residents may be considered acts of war and could draw a military force response.

About damn time. These international cyber gangsters are holding the world hostage, and foreign governments are either encouraging them or standing by and doing nothing about them.

I'm not so sure that's the best policy. There are a lot of people out in the world who think that they need to retaliate against every IP address that comes knocking on their computer. In reality a hack will hop from machine to machine to machine before going for their actual destination.

With that in mind, let's say an intrusion attempt comes from a server in China. Not hard to believe, I see it on my server every day. If the hackee decides to retaliate against his hacker by way of some generic hacking scripts, the hackee becomes the hacker. And if China decides that hacking should result in a military response, you see how this could go down hill quickly.

In short, with a policy like this, any individual who wants to see a grudge match between two countries can easily get their wish.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1