Bow Hunting

Vikings, Timberwolves, Wild, Gopher Sports, hiking, biking, skiing, fishing, hunting ...
dbthinking

Bow Hunting

Post by dbthinking » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:44 pm

I just started bow hunting this year, and yesterday I missed my first buck shot went right under him.

I'm not sure what I did wrong perhaps i miss judged the distance any other bow-hunters out there.

OdinofAzgard

Bambi beware!

Post by OdinofAzgard » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:48 pm

I'd always heard what a challenge bow-hunting for deer was, so one year I bought a used compound bow and spent the rest of the summer practicing until I was pretty good.

That September I was on the edge of an alfalfa field, sitting in an oak tree about 20 feet up as the sun went down, when 3 does wandered out about 30 yards away. I had no business taking a shot at that distance but I was cold and cranky and I wanted to at least get a shot at one, so I waited until one turned broadside, calculated distance and shot. They say you're supposed to aim where the foreleg meets the spine in that situation, so that's what I did, only a couple inches higher in case I got lucky.

Amazingly, that's exactly where my arrow hit and the doe collapsed on the spot, its spinal cord severed. It just lay there kicking its front legs, its back legs paralyzed.

I petted its head with my left hand while I cut its throat with the pocketknife in my right.

One shot, one deer. Some challenge.

Got some great steaks and hamburger out of her. I love venison.

dbthinking

Post by dbthinking » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:13 pm

I never really thought of it as a challenge, and hunting on the edge of a farmer’s alfalfa field is always easier then out in the woods, the reason I took up-bow hunting is that there are fewer people out hunting at the time, and you get 3+ months to get a deer. By the way, 30 yards is not too far to shoot in my opinion 40-50 is hard though.

LadyM

Hm...interesting

Post by LadyM » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:43 am

I've never been hunting, not by choice, but because I've never really had the time to learn properly, and don't have anyone who'd care to go along. It does look intersting, though. I hope you get your deer the next time.