Why do people watch golf on TV?

Vikings, Timberwolves, Wild, Gopher Sports, hiking, biking, skiing, fishing, hunting ...
Terry

Why do people watch golf on TV?

Post by Terry » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:28 pm

The weekend TV programs are dominated by golf tournaments these days. Sometimes, 2 networks broadcast 2 separate tournaments on the same afternoon.

Can anyone explain why you'd watch golf on TV? I know golf is great to play, but watching it on TV is like watching the paint dry. It is so long and boring. You can take a nap without missing anything.

luciensar

Post by luciensar » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:39 pm

I've never understood it, myself. I even prefered televised bowling to golf. At least that had a few moments of action.

NonPartisan

Why are YOU watching Golf on TV?

Post by NonPartisan » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:44 pm

-
ALL sports are more boring watched then played. And sports talk shows, radio or TV, can be fatal. Golf is one of the dumbest games ever designed by men--yes, men, not women. But on some days football may be at the bottom of the list. And bowling? Drying paint is more interesting. Please. I'd rather watch an ant drag away a stale booger.

Of course, this excludes the "sports" that aren't, such as championship poker, and extreme idiots trying to maim and kill themselves with extremely stupid stunts.

But then, when the Twins are on a streak, it is almost more interesting to watch them than to play.

Terry, get off the tube and get on a bike. Or hike. Do anything but watch TV.

Terry

Re: Why are YOU watching Golf on TV?

Post by Terry » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:06 am

NonPartisan wrote:-
But then, when the Twins are on a streak, it is almost more interesting to watch them than to play.
Watching baseball on the tube isn't much better than watching paint dry. It is sooooooooo looooooooong and boring. I kinda like to see one player hits another with the ball and starts a brawl. I'd call that a game!

TJPeters

Post by TJPeters » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:52 pm

The only thing worse then watching golf on TV is listening to it on the radio. It's like listening to paint dry.

As far as baseball goes, I like watching the highlights on the ten o'clock news. That way I get to see the whole game without waiting for hours to see some action.

bbusch1

Post by bbusch1 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:28 pm

I agree about baseball and golf. Rick Reilly of Sports Illustrated wrote a hilarious and true column on how slow baseball is and how it should be sped up. As for golf, it's more fun to watch it in person than have a camera try to track to the flight of a tee shot against a sky in the background. Whoop-de-do!

LadyM

Golf on TV

Post by LadyM » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:00 pm

I keep hearing an old Brett Butler routine in this question. Her husband is watching Fishing Today or some such drivel...and she asks him why he watches it when all that's going to happen is the guy will catch a fish, hold it up, measure it, then let it go.

Her husband accuses her of having seen this episode before.

WhatsUp

Post by WhatsUp » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:20 pm

If you'd like watching people walking around with a golf club, golf on TV is definitely for you. Can't believe people get so bored with their lives. We should get mandatory TV commercials for voluteer organizations during golf games.

Modern_Day_Cowboy

Post by Modern_Day_Cowboy » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:33 pm

WhatsUp wrote:If you'd like watching people walking around with a golf club, golf on TV is definitely for you. Can't believe people get so bored with their lives. We should get mandatory TV commercials for voluteer organizations during golf games.
If you want to break down the actual happenings of a sport instead of leaning on the drama they provide, then no, sports are never interesting to watch. Think of it.

Baseball: A guy throws a ball every 50 seconds that another guy tries to hit. Sometimes he runs. Sometimes he doesn't, sometimes people yell inaudibly.

Football: Large men of varying colors wear tight clothes and hit each other while someone runs straight into a pile of them with a ball. The man with the ball is stopped, and another man jumps up, does a stupid dance and yells in a barbaric fashion.

NASCAR: They drive and turn left. Then sometimes they start punching each other.

Boxing: They start punching each other. Then sometimes, they start turning left.

Women's basketball: It is said no one has ever watched this, but rumors attest that tall women move around, throwing a multi-colored ball at a hoop, sometimes jumping as high as eight inches off the ground.