Books - Buy or Borrow?

The only stupid questions are those unasked!
Frasier

Books - Buy or Borrow?

Post by Frasier » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:05 am

Do you buy or borrow books? If you buy books, what do you do after reading them?

dorajar

Re: Books - Buy or Borrow?

Post by dorajar » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:06 am

Frasier wrote:Do you buy or borrow books? If you buy books, what do you do after reading them?
I do both.

If I buy 'em, I keep 'em. Loan them out, re-read them, populate my bookshelves with them...

If I borow 'em, I return 'em....usually late... :oops:

Terry

Post by Terry » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:11 pm

I only buy books that I absolutely have to read right away. Otherwise, I borrow from the library. I used to buy books, but the only purpose they served was collecting dust. Plus, everytime I moved, I had to move them. I sold most my old books on eBay.

jak

Post by jak » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:11 pm

I like buying rather than borrowing.

I dont know what it is about going into a B&N or Borders or used book store, but I love coming out with a stack of books, or just one if that's all I can find.

side question of the day: Anybody reading anthing good right now?

laurel

currently reading

Post by laurel » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:10 pm

I'm reading Tolstoy's [What Then Must We Do?]. I love it. It was out of print for a very long time and I heard rumor that it may be back in print. Hope so!

dorajar

Post by dorajar » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:03 pm

Just had to return The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay half-way through...it was over-due at the library. :cry:

Just picked up Ann Coulter's Godless. I'm about 10 pages in and already shaking my head in bemusement. What vitriol! What nonsense! But she IS entertaining...I'll give her that much.

laurel

Post by laurel » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:13 pm

Is that Godless the one with the water-tower? If so, that book was nonsense.[/i]

dorajar

Post by dorajar » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:26 am

laurel wrote:Is that Godless the one with the water-tower? If so, that book was nonsense.[/i]
Not sure what you mean by "the water-tower".

Here, it's this one: http://www.amazon.com/Godless-Church-Li ... F8&s=books

bwoodsdesign

Post by bwoodsdesign » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:19 pm

I buy books alot, mostly through the book clubs I belong to. But I'm going to start going to the library again. Because lots of the books I get through the clubs, I regret because they aren't what I thought they were.

Example...I bought Martha Stewart's "Martha's Rules" which she wrote last year right after she got out of prison and managed to get back on tv and get back into business and I thought, "Hell, if she went through all that and still came out a champ, it must be a book on rules for success....I've got to read it!"

Instead I got an overpriced, long winded book about how her tarts were ruined for some fancy party at which some celebrities were guests, and a handful of pretty common business do's and don'ts.

Listen, Martha. I don't care how your grapevine wreath turned out after adding eucalyptus from your own windowsill herb garden. If she would have cleared away most of that type of clutter, the book would have been a 3 page pamphlet.

Another regrettable purchase was Christoper Lowell's book about small spaces and how to decorate to acheive the illusion of larger spaces. I have a very cramped apartment and so I thought it would be worth a look. It was nothing but a glossy coffee table book full of photos of him posing. One with his face in a frame, and that crazy expression that he makes, another of him standing atop a box he made.

The 'how to' sections of the book were ALL ideas involving wood, saws, hammers, nails, ripping down walls and tearing apart cabinets, etc. I rent so these things are not an option for me.