dreams...

The only stupid questions are those unasked!
dorajar

dreams...

Post by dorajar » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:27 am

Do you have any recurring dreams? (or themes/images that consistently turn up...)?

Terry

Post by Terry » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:52 pm

I have this recurring dream that is very annoying. I dream about going back to my college years. At the final or midterm exam time, I always feel like I am not ready for the exams yet. I know this recurring dream has a lot to do with the stress I have during the day. If I am stressed out, it is more likely I will dream of such a silly thing. It has been going on for years and wish I know how to get rid of it.

dbthinking

Post by dbthinking » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:12 pm

No my dreams are boring.

bwoodsdesign

Post by bwoodsdesign » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:24 pm

My dreams are always very vivid, colorful and clear. Usually I dream about success, riches, etc. fantasy stuff. Luxurious vacations in weird places.

In the past few months, I have had dreams about being in the house I grew up and my family is all together, me, my sis, my mom, and dad. I dream about this a lot. At least a few times a week. And even though my dad is in them, in real life he's dead. The dreams are always happy or goofy or even sometimes there is a scary theme but the dream itself is not scary, and no one is acting scary. It makes me sad to wake up and not be with them.

dorajar

Post by dorajar » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:38 am

I dream about roller coasters a lot. Or basements. Bridges. Vertical movement.

laurel

Post by laurel » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:45 pm

Has anyone ever tried something where you are aware of your consciousness(that sounds redundant, I know.) all day, enabling you to control your dreams because in them you realize you aren't conscious?

jak

Post by jak » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:33 pm

I have no idea if this info is valid or not, but I just heard the other day that when you dream that its sort of like your mind getting rid of the excess garbage that gets clogged in there.

When you remember your dreams the next day, it means that the garbage didnt get all the way out and its still there, clogging your memories and whatnot.

Hence, recurring dreams.

Terry

Post by Terry » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:47 pm

laurel wrote:Has anyone ever tried something where you are aware of your consciousness(that sounds redundant, I know.) all day, enabling you to control your dreams because in them you realize you aren't conscious?
Do you mean meditation? I am sure meditation has a strong impact on what you dream, but never experience it myself. A few times when it was close to the end of my dreams, I knew I was dreaming even though I was still dreaming. That is pretty weird.

This is a very good book on why we sleep and dream: Promise of Sleep, by William Dement, who was a pioneer in sleep studies. Great read.

laurel

Post by laurel » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:55 pm

I suppose it could be meditation. What I mean is if you concentrate on something, like time, the entire day by looking at a clock consistently, you might look at a clock in your dream out of habit but you won't be able to tell what time it is, so you then realize you are actually in a dream-state. You could also draw a letter "c" (or really anything) on the inside of your hand and look at it throughout the day. It sometimes works, and it is just like what you're talking about when you know but you're still dreaming.

WhatsUp

Post by WhatsUp » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:20 pm

laurel wrote:I suppose it could be meditation. What I mean is if you concentrate on something, like time, the entire day by looking at a clock consistently, you might look at a clock in your dream out of habit but you won't be able to tell what time it is, so you then realize you are actually in a dream-state.
This almost sounds like hypnosis. I think in hypnosis, you are almost like half-awake. You are kinda aware of what you are doing, but you really don't know what you are doing. I only read this stuff from books and magazines. Has anyone tried hypotized before?

dorajar

Post by dorajar » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:57 am

I think he's talking about lucid dreaming.