Where do you get your news?

The only stupid questions are those unasked!
veeb

Where do you get your news?

Post by veeb » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:48 am

What's your main news source? Do you get it on TV (local vs national vs cable), paper (local vs non), or online (local vs non)?
Why do you like it?

I tend to get most of my news online, using CNN.com as my "straightforward" source and Slate.com as my "slanty" source. I watch the local news about once per week when a commercial looks like there will be an interesting story on (or if I'm watching something beforehand and leave it on, I end up watching the whole broadcast).
Rarely do I get a newspaper or a news magazine - I never have time to read in the morning and prefer the up-to-the-minute feel of online sites like CNN. I'm currently "shopping" for a new CNN-like site, so if anyone has suggestions please respond.

baker

Re: Where do you get your news?

Post by baker » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:52 am

veeb wrote:What's your main news source? Do you get it on TV (local vs national vs cable), paper (local vs non), or online (local vs non)?
Why do you like it?

I tend to get most of my news online, using CNN.com as my "straightforward" source and Slate.com as my "slanty" source. I watch the local news about once per week when a commercial looks like there will be an interesting story on (or if I'm watching something beforehand and leave it on, I end up watching the whole broadcast).
Rarely do I get a newspaper or a news magazine - I never have time to read in the morning and prefer the up-to-the-minute feel of online sites like CNN. I'm currently "shopping" for a new CNN-like site, so if anyone has suggestions please respond.
I use online, mostly CNN, or BBC.
The main issue I hate about CNN is their propesnity to make everything into videos, to promote their 'pipeline' service. I like to read headlines, without haveing to sit through an ad to watch a video reporter cover the story. CNN is going to lose me really soon if they don't stop doing this.

dorajar

Post by dorajar » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:54 am

I read the NY Times online every day.

dbthinking

Post by dbthinking » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:55 pm

The Radio, and Drudge and other online sources.

veeb

Post by veeb » Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:32 pm

Baker, that's the same reason I'm fed up with CNN... it's a pain to sit through ads and have it load, not to mention I like to skim most stories (and not wait for the reporter to get to the point). For some reason, I absolutely HATE video news online ...perhaps because I can't watch anything at work because I removed my speakers.

Frasier

Post by Frasier » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:09 pm

I got my news from the 3 TV networks and the newspaper. Not big on online news source. CNN sucks. Until the day they get rid of that pain-in-the-ass Larry King, I won't watch CNN again.

laurel

Post by laurel » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:55 pm

Amen to that, Frasier.

Frasier

Post by Frasier » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:32 pm

Thanks, Laurel! Once upon a time, CNN wasn't too bad. But that Larry King simply never added any value, then he simply became plain annoying. Now CNN simply has no character and produces nothing that is worth watching. Fox News - people either love it or hate it - even those who hate it still watch it. Go figure.