Daydreamer

The only stupid questions are those unasked!
dorajar

Daydreamer

Post by dorajar » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:04 am

A daydream is a meal at which images are eaten. Some of us are gourmets, some gourmands, and a good many take their images precooked out of a can and swallow them down whole, absent-mindedly and with little relish. ~W.H. Auden

He does not need opium. He has the gift of reverie. ~Anais Nin

Sometimes, in a summer morning, having taken my accustomed bath, I sat in my sunny doorway from sunrise till noon, rapt in reverie. ~Henry David Thoreau

I remember the first time I was consciously aware of my ability to entertain myself with my imagination. My parents had brought my sister and I to the park...I was probably around 6 years old...and I got tired of playing and went and sat under a tree. And I sat there for a couple of hours, just gazing around and thinking and dreaming. The next day we went back to the park and my mom asked me if I wanted to bring a book in case I wanted to sit for a while again and I said, "No, there's a voice that lives in my head that talks to me and helps me make pictures. I'll just play with it." And ever since then, I've been a little daydreamer.

Do you drift off a lot? What do you daydream about?

praecorloth

Post by praecorloth » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:05 am

I daydream about having a job so I can buy this.

http://www.edinarealty.com/Listing/List ... rBar=false

In most of my daydreams, this house ends up with the name "Pemberley." :)

dorajar

Post by dorajar » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:44 am

I daydream about my funeral, my next home, the garden I want to plant this summer, how I want my career to look, be, feel by this time next year, traveling around the Middle East talking to folks and crafting stories and possibly a show out of the experience, sex, things I'd like to say to people, what I want to cook for dinner, being on the open road, the desert, being a restaurant critic, being a documentary filmmaker, being a poet, traveling, traveling, traveling, replaying delicious moments, replaying painful moments, wondering what s/he's thinking right now, talking myself into and out of things, how I'll spend my window of free time this evening, being able to speak Arabic fluently, wearing a burka, making room for understanding of differences in myself and in our culture, what God might be like, my parents' inevitable deaths, Mike's parents' inevitable deaths, summer evenings, beer, developing my palate, being gray and wizened, how different my face would be if I bothered to shape my eyebrows...

Told you. I'm a dreamer.