Giving Tree

The only stupid questions are those unasked!
dorajar

Giving Tree

Post by dorajar » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:31 am

"Giving connects two people, the giver and the receiver, and this connection gives birth to a new sense of belonging." --Deepak Chopra

"We wish to be self-sustained. We do not quite forgive a giver. The hand that feeds us is in some danger of being bitten." --Emerson

"There is a wonderful mythical law of nature that the three things we crave most in life -- happiness, freedom, and peace of mind -- are always attained by giving them to someone else." --Petyon Conway March

What have you been given lately? What have you given?

Are you able to accept gifts graciously or do they make you anxious?

dorajar

Post by dorajar » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:32 am

I feel like I've been smack in the middle of a really lovely circle of theater karma lately. People I love and respect have suggested me for some exciting projects, and I've been able to recommend people I love and respect for others. I love helping talented people make new connections and broaden their experience (like putting one of my favorite directors and a college friend who is also a great Stage Manager together for Henry V at TRP...I'm right proud of that one because they're both so wonderful and good at what they do that they DESERVE to know about each other and work together, and I was able to help facilitate that). And my current gig is only happening because another friend had the faith in my abilities to recommend me strongly to the director. Same goes for support and encouragement: I'm surrounded by lovely people who give it to me and take it from me when they need it.

In more concrete terms, I like to buy people's beers/meals when we go eat or drink together, when I can. And I'm always delighted when they feel like reciprocating.

I like living in a world where we don't have to keep track, make sure everything is exactly even or fair...a world where we give all we can and receive graciously, and trust that balance will occur naturally.