Gadgets n' gizmos

The only stupid questions are those unasked!
dorajar

Gadgets n' gizmos

Post by dorajar » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:44 am

What are your favorite gadgets that you own? What gadgets would you really like to own?

praecorloth

Post by praecorloth » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:45 pm

I'd like one of these please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMGJB410Ccs

Beyond that when I get a house I'm going to buy up some solar panels and start making hydrogen and perhaps make me a little generator gizmo that burns the hydrogen and will power my computers when the electricity goes out.

btw if you ever feel like making hydrogen, solar panels that produce enough electricity to separate hydrogen and oxygen from water are like $20 + shipping.

OdinofAzgard

Post by OdinofAzgard » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:06 pm

My favorite gadgets are Johnson outboard, tv, computer, camcorder and Aqua-vu.

The gadget I'd most like to own is a perpetual motion machine that runs on its own power. (There's a million-dollar prize for inventing one.) My ignorance of engineering and physics allows me
to believe such a thing is possible. Here's one experiment I'd like to try:

Set up a water tank (a 25 gallon aquarium would probably work) with a waterwheel on one end half-submerged. A water bladder with one-way water intakes (maybe a modified old-fashioned rubber hot-water bottlle) is positioned so the upstrokes of the waterwheel press against the bottle and force water up tubes that empty into the down-moving side of the wheel. Theoretically, the weight of the filled wheel reservoirs above water might be enough to turn the less-weighty submerged portions of the wheel sufficiently to make it work. Someday I'd like to give it a try, anyhoo.

thrice

Aqua Vu

Post by thrice » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:29 pm

What is that like? Roughly how far can you see with it? How much impact does water clarity have?

OdinofAzgard

Video fishing

Post by OdinofAzgard » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:08 pm

What is that like? Roughly how far can you see with it? How much impact does water clarity have?
Water clarity is HUGE, the difference between seeing several inches and several feet. I do most of my taping on clear lakes like Little Long (by Mound) and Christmas (also some Canadian lakes), although Tonka has some bays that I've recently discovered are also clear enough, thanks to the milfoil. Mostly I'm taping on Tonka now, trying to catch a big musky video fishing. (I coined the phrase "video fishing" and In-Fisherman magazine used it in their September issue last year, along with a diagram for using an underwater camera like the Aqua-vu. I think my rig is superior to theirs, although theirs might be better with floating lures. I'll be experimenting with that this summer.) I've had trouble using my rig with lures like spinnerbaits that pulsate in the water because they shake the camera too much for good video, but there are some modifications I want to try this summer that could work. If they do, I should be able to video fish a spinnerbait or other lure along the bottom, which could be deadly. (The state record tiger musky was caught by a guy who was yo-yoing a spinnerbait off the bottom on Lake Elmo.) You can check out some of my video fishing efforts on
youtube and a couple of my video stills on my sites:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=G0ZQaQYvizg&feature=related

http://web.mac.com/odinofazgard/iWeb/PI ... E.com.html

thrice

Post by thrice » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:19 pm

I understand that Rebecca is a popular muskie lake, but will likely lose its water clarity fairly early, maybe July. Don't know about the size. One of my old former coworkers is a guide up on Leech, and he swears by it as a muskie destination.

OdinofAzgard

Post by OdinofAzgard » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:41 pm

Rebecca is used by the state as a musky-incubation lake, so there should be a good population. Leech is world-famous for its muskies, but turns into the Dead Sea after 9 a.m., or at least that's what I've read (and experienced). Does your ex-co-worker mostly fish Portage Bay for muskies? The tapering weedline along the west side is supposedly prime musky territory, although I haven't had any luck there the couple of times I've fished it. I haven't fished it in prime time (dawn and dusk), though.

Nearby Baby Lake is good. On my site Monstermuskyhunt. com, I've got a video fishing still of a nice-sized musky that turned up its nose at my minnow on the Southeast side. The Hayfield on Wabedo is also good.

thrice

Post by thrice » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:43 pm

I really don't know where he fishes. I used to do walleye opener every year out of Bayview Resort on Kabetogama Bay, and he lives just down the road at a trailer park (Sunset Bay?). So I imagine he favors the west/north side of the lake. Haven't been there in years, and I understand the walleyes have gone down the tubes, but I would like to go up there again anyway. The old gang I used to go with have kinda gone their separate ways for various reasons. Have seen some folks take 12"+ sized crappies out of the trailer park marina just before walleye opener there with some regularity.